Cannot access EA4500 configuration page

Hi,

I've had this EA4500 for over 8 months and have never had a problem accessing its config page at https://192.168.1.1. But starting today, I can't access it from either Mac OS X or Windows machines. One is wired, one is wifi. Any ideas?

Should i just hit the reset button? Otherwise, it's working fine, i.e. i have internet access going through it. But one other thing that's wrong is that i can no longer access its twonky media server. i can navite the songs on the connected USB disk, but can't play them. So something weird is going on. I can ping it fine, but nothing else.

regards,

js.

Expert

Re: Cannot access EA4500 configuration page

Power cycle it first.  If no joy, hard reset the router and try again.

x15mnij wrote:

Hi,

I've had this EA4500 for over 8 months and have never had a problem accessing its config page at https://192.168.1.1. But starting today, I can't access it from either Mac OS X or Windows machines. One is wired, one is wifi. Any ideas?

Should i just hit the reset button? Otherwise, it's working fine, i.e. i have internet access going through it. But one other thing that's wrong is that i can no longer access its twonky media server. i can navite the songs on the connected USB disk, but can't play them. So something weird is going on. I can ping it fine, but nothing else.

regards,

js.

I agree with sabretooth  alright. Smiley Wink

Make sure you're using the correct IP address for the router and check the IP address and try to ping. If it works at least you have some connectivity to it and the cable is good. Sometimes a corrupt firmware can cause to be the router useless. Try updating to the newest one from the Linksys website. The last option is to reset the router to the factory defaults and reconfigure.

I know this is a really old post but I was wondering if you have any idea if this is still a problem with the newer EA4500 routers?

Thanks,

Clyde

hi Clyde,

I don't have any idea. I haven't shopped for a router since I bought the EA4500 in August 2012. But I haven't had any problems with the EA4500 lately. So maybe the problem I reported orginally was just a glitch.

But I still totally hate the idea that I have to log in to a remote Cisco/Linksys server just to access my router's configuration page, and I will certainly take that into account the next time I have to buy a wifi router (which shouldn't be for many, many years, at least until wired internet speeds surpass the 802.11n data rates...I currently have 50Mbps wired internet access, so my EA4500 should be sufficient until my wired internet access reaches ... 200Mbps or so, at least another ~5(?) years...

Re: "newer" EA4500 routers ... My guess is that router hardware (Broadcom wifi chips) and firmware have changed so much in the last 4+ years (it's also a totally new wifi spec now 802.11ac, 802.11ax coming....) that it's a totally new/different ball game with any new router you buy....

regards,

js.

Thanks for getting back to me. I was not sure anyone would even see my post since the thread is so old.  I finally decided on the EA 6400 Linksys AC1600 Smart Wi-Fi Wireless Router. I figured, as you mentioned, perhaps the bugs had been worked out aand in addition the 6400 is capable of 1.3Gig rates. If we ever get them.

Living in small town USA has it's benefits but it also has it's problems. I am paying for 50mpb but most of the time we get around 10, even on cable, because of our location.

Expert

If the cable company is charging you for 50 i wouldnt accept 10,  ever. They may need to replace the wiring to your home but they have to fix it. Call them up. Be prepared to connect directly to their modem and tes from there. Be persistant. That is too much of a difference.

[ Edited ]

Well, the EA4500 is capable of 1000 Mbps via ethernet and 450 Mbps via wifi. If the router keeps working for another 5 years, you'll probably replace your modem first to support the fastest speed.

You shouldn't need to connect to a remote Linksys sever to access your router configuration page.  There should be a local mode of access.  You may need to update your firmware for this.

I forgot to mention that you should not need to connect to the Linksys web page to make any changes to your configuartion.  If you are running into that problem try disconnecting your CAT5 cable from the yellow Internet port and access 192.168.1.1 in your browser.  That should give you direct access to the router. Like Pinoy(?) said it should be a local access.

I make that call at least once or twice every month. They send a refresh signal and the speed goes up for a few days and then it is right back down.