KevinTunis

Cannot access admin page when entering 192.168.1.1 in browser

We have just purchased a WRVS4400N and took our old WRT54G off and just replaced it with the WRVS4400N. How our network is set up is that we have two nic cards on the server (running Windows Server 2003) in which the internet comes into one nic card and the local network is on the other nic card (this is where the WRVS4400N is connected). After replacing the WRT54G with the WRVS4400N the issue I am having is that the computers wired direct in this office (these computers are running Vista) I cannot enter the 192.168.1.1 to connect to the Linksys administration page I can however go over to the other building where the computer (these are running XP) is wireless and I can enter 192.168.1.1 and can connect to the Linksys administration page. I would like to be able to admin this network from the computers (these computers are running Vista) that are direct. What should I look for?

Thanks
Kevin Tunis
Knowledge Mgmt. Solutions, Inc.
nimzag

Re: Cannot access admin page when entering 192.168.1.1 in browser

Do you have other operating system that can access the router that is connected hardwired? Try other computers. To check if you have problem with vista. Also check the firewall.
KevinTunis

Well this is where it gets interesting we had XP machines on this network that were having the same issue. We thought that by putting in new Vista box’s and a new Linksys WRVS4400N router we could eliminate the issue any thoughts?

Thanks
Kevin Tunis
KevinTunis

I have checked Vista Firewall and it its off also Nortons firewall is off.
Thanks
Kevin Tunis
KevinTunis

I have also noticed that if I ping the linksys.com or the 192.168.1.1 I get a time out. If I go to IE7 or Firefox and type in linksys.com it will go to the linksys site but if I type in 192.168.1.1 on the Vista or the Windows Server 2003, I cannot see the router’s web-based setup page.
Thanks
Kevin Tunis
KevinTunis

I have also been reviewing all the Windows Vista Articles Listing at http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5469&lid=3420929625B... but I have not had much luck chasing down this problem.
Thanks
Kevin Tunis
fox_mulder

Does your computer obtain an IP with the range of 192.168.1.x? When you do ipconfig, what is the default gateway?
ChristianM

hard reboot the router. I turned off wireless management today and then I couldn't get into the router even with a wired connection. Once I hard rebooted the router I was able to get back in and manage it from a wired connection.
nimzag

In order for you to access the router setup page the computer should be able to ping the router ip address. The default ip address of the router is 192.168.1.1 which is your gateway address on the computer. You may try upgrading the firmware of the router.
KevinTunis

Still looking at this, I have not been able to get a good strong signal with the computers on the wireless.  ChrisitanM I hard reboot the router about every 45 minutes to hour and a half and still not able to access the Linksys web base utility on any of the computers that are “wired”. I can see the Linksys web base utility on the other computers that are wireless at the other office. The thing that gets me is that the internet connectivity seems to cycle both on the “wired” and the “wireless”. The “wireless” seems to cycle more often than the wired and it is definitely the one with the weakest signal. I have also notice that I cannot remote desktop back into the server on the network. I also cannot join the domain server on the network. As far as the default gateway that is 192.168.0.2, this is the server and the way a Microsoft tech set this up for our computers to connect to. This was done on a paid support ticket with support from Linksys. The server set up was to allow us to administrate and update any computer that is on this network “wired” or “wireless” from the server.

I have some ideas, but I want to make sure this all is set up correctly. In reading some of the documentation on the Linksys routers I see that is possible to set up one wireless router in one area and then set up another in a different location therefore boosting the signal. Than in theory that means that we should be able to set up the Linksys WRVS440N in one office and then set up the WRT54G in the other office and this should increase our signal. Can someone tell me the procedure to do this?

Thanks
Kevin Tunis