white99gt

Cannot access router

I tried to set up a static ip address and now cannot access my router. I tried resetting it with no luck. Please help.

Jim

Galaxy_Stranger

Re: Cannot access router

Check your subnet mask and default gateway.

That's usually my problem.

white99gt

ok thanks it is working again. I am still looking for proper instructions on how to configure my wrt54g v5.0 to use a static ip. My first several attempts have all failed. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Galaxy_Stranger

You want the ROUTER to use a static IP or you want your PC to use a static IP?
white99gt

I'm trying to set up a static ip and port the router for use online. I have heard it is better to set up a static ip for this. I don't know if this would be for the router or the pc. I am definitely new to all of this so please bear with me. Thanks for the help.

Galaxy_Stranger

I understand.

If you're wanting to set up a web site or some kind of "web presence" yes, it makes things easier when you have a static, (unchanging), IP address.  This is how it works:

The IP address that your Internet access provider assigns to your home is what you want to be static.  Your PC's IP address doesn't necessarily NEED to be static because your router usually simply assigns the same IP to the same computers on the network - this is called "IP Leasing".  IP Leasing is performed by your DHCP server which is usually located on the router.  Your Internet access provider doesn't do this - they asssign you a new IP address about once a quarter.  BUT, it's still not a bad idea to give your PC a static IP just in case something happens - then you always know what you want that IP address to be for that particular machine.

The reason for having a static IP is mostly out of convenience.  If you set up your own web server, you'll likely want to purchase a domain name, (URL), that's easy for people to remember.  You then configure your account with your Domain to use your IP address.  If your IP address is static, you configure it once and you're done pretty much forever.  If your IP address changes, then you have to change the IP address that the Domain is pointing to EVERY time your IP address changes.

First, you have to purchase an Internet access package from your service provider, (Cumcast, AT&T, etc.), that features a static IP address.  This is usually available under their "business" packages and often give you several static IP's.  At that point, you would forward port 80, (or whatever you're using), to the machine that hosts the web server. 

white99gt

I am actually just trying to port my router. I have read this is easier if you first start with a static ip address. If this is not necessary I will skip this step as i don't think my isp (Charter) has a business pkg for their internet.

On some other sites I have read directions on setting up a static ip which I have tried to follow with no luck. So what you are saying is that I cannot set a static ip without the assistance of my isp? (Charter) If this is the case I will stop right there.

Galaxy_Stranger

Yes...Charter has business packages...  http://www.charter-business.com/

Porting a router doesn't really mean anything.  You are probably referring to Port-Forwarding.

Describe the project you're working on.

white99gt

thanks for the link I'll check into that today. I want to set my pc up for port forwarding. I am trying to set it up to run utorrent. The port I need to forward is 30637.

I have tried many things with no luck at all.

Jim

great_white

So all you mean to do is set the Static IP to your Computer. Follow this setps to set the Static IP on your Computer.

Click on the Start button >>> Settings >>> Control Panel >>>Network Connections- Right click on the icon for Local area connection and go to properties- On the 'General' tab select 'Internet Protocol TCP/IP' and click on the Properties button- Select 'Use the following IP address'- Provide IP Address - 192.168.1.5, Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway - 192.168.1.1- Preferred DNS 192.168.1.1, Alternate DNS - 4.2.2.2 >>Click on Ok button to Save and Click on "Close" on main Properties window.

Click Here to setup the port forwarding on your Router.