Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
AudCand

Cannot connect to my own secure network

[ Edited ]
I tried to connect to the internet this morning, but my computer asked for the WEP password for the router, the only time I have ever had to do this was when I first connected my laptop to my router. My password wouldn't work, apparently I need the number-letter key, which I don't have, so I reset my router. But now I cannot setup wireless security on my computer, because when I do and try to connect to the network after it has been secured, in the window that displays the networks, my network has a red X by it and a message saying I cannot connect to the network because the settings of the network do not match the settings saved to the computer. I know there is a way to change the settings on my computer alone, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out!

I have:
WRT54GS V7
1 XBOX 360 manually connected to the router & 1 XBOX 360 using a Wireless Adapter to connect to the network.
My laptop uses Vista.

I do not necessarily want to use WEP as my security key, but I am not sure if I can use anything other than WEP to connect my XBOX that uses the Wireless Adapter.

Message Edited by AudCand on 07-28-2008 10:39 AM
ridcully

Re: Cannot connect to my own secure network

You can use WPA security key ..... however if you are not connecting to the previous WEP key .... change the network name(SSID) & WEP key ...
Again try to connect to the wireless network ......
drealmccoy292

you can also remove all the preffered networks in your computer and reconnect to the network using the new setting that you have placed on the router.
"Love your job but never love your company. Because you never know when your company stops loving you"
AudCand

I have done both of these things, but I still cannot connect because the settings saved to my computer do not match the settings of the network, is there some other way to connect? The router worked just fine for three months, why all of a sudden is it doing this?
richard804

Change the wireless settings to match the ones in the Router.
Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada