Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
barnief

Cannot connect to wrt160N with wireless

I finally set up the WRT160N, with comcast Arris modem.

Problem is when I try to connect my dell laptop to it wirelessly, I cannot get a connection ie "limited connection".

Found out accidently that if I connect to my neighbor's wireless and then connect to the wrt160, it would work fine then.

Once I connect, I get excellent signal, everything works like it supposed to.

My Dell laptop is model 1705 with vista home.

My IBM thinkpad does not have this problem, nor does my Iphone.

PS I changed the channel settings and it did not solve the problem?

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Carrot

Re: Cannot connect to wrt160N with wireless

Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbours network...Try Changing the Wireless Channel to 11/3 on the router...restart the computer and then try to connect

barnief

Carrot,

My Wireless Network Name (SSID) and that of my neighbor are different and unique.

I also changed the channel from auto to a number without success.

Thanks

Carrot

As the other wireless computer(Dell) and the iphone is working fine....I would suggest you to try upgrading the wireless driver of the laptop once.
barnief

Problem fixed,

This Morning I tried to used both PC's at once on the same desk, both stopped responding or responded really slow to my surprise.

I rememmber having them both work at the same time once, biu then realized that was before I changed the router settings to fix channel.

I went upstairs and reset the channel to AUTO and while I was there I reset the mode to B and G MIX.

That solved my initial problem with the dell. Apparently having the router set to N did something to My PC with the sympoms I listed before.

Also both PC work nice now.

Thanks Carrot for trying to help