Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ivydonw
Accepted Solution

Cannot connect wireless devices to my EA6500

To preface this message I need to state that I am functionally illiterate when it comes to any kind of networking. I just replaced an old Linksys wireless-G router with a new Linksys EA6500 router.  My needs are as follows: I am connecting 4 desktop computers (two personal and two business) via Ethernet cables.  In addition there will be three smart phones, two DVD players and one game console connected wirelessly.  In the future I will add a printer, hard drive and more wireless devices.  After installing the hardware and running the setup disk all four computers wired with Ethernet cables worked fine (although they are not set up to communicate or share files with one another - they only need to access the internet.  My problem is with the wireless connectivity.  I cannot get any one of the wireless devices to work.

jaymay

Re: Cannot connect wireless devices to my EA6500

It could have something to do with the wireless settings of the router. Make sure that the two networks (5GHz and 2.4GHz) are named differently to know which network you are connecting to and to determine which network you are having problems with. Access linksyssmartwifi.com and go to Wireless and edit the settings from there.  For the wireless channel, you can try 1, 3, 6, or 9. If you have named the network the same as you previous router’s before, make sure that the profile of the network is removed on your wireless devices prior to trying to connect again to the network. Here are some links on how to connect your wireless devices to your network:

Connecting Gaming Consoles to the Wireless Network

Connecting your iPad® to the wireless network

Connecting your iPhone® to your wireless network

Connecting your Nintendo Wii™ to the Internet

Expert
jlbjlb

ivydonw

Thank you. This seems to take care of my problem. I assume that this post message was answered by a Cisco employee, so I would like to pass on some advice.  I am fairly handy when it comes to the basics of computers, but I am certainly no tech and I think there are a lot of customers in the marketplace similar to me.  With that said, don't you think it would make sense to include a step in the setup process that prompts the user to name both networks differently?  This cost me a lot of time and aggravation I could have done without, therefore I will not be recommending your product to anyone even though once it's set up correctly it works well.  After all there are other brands and I'm sure they work well too.