Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
artsmith222

Cannot login (192.168.1.1) to WRT54G router

I have had a WRT54G router for several years. We have about three computers that use it, on an Open WEP system. No problems with the wireless.

However, I cannot seem to login into it, with either a wired or wireless connection, of any of three computers or a new one I got. I have tried 192.168.1.1. I checked my ipconfig, and it says my default gateway is 192.168.1.1 and my IP address is 192.168.1.126, but that did not work either.

I am hesitant to reset the router - because if I do, and lose access for my other computers, I'm in bigger trouble.

Our Internet is through Comcast.

The reason I want to get in is that we got a new computer. I can't seem to set it up unless I make the SSID visible, which I can't do, without logging in.

dfresh4130

Re: Cannot login (192.168.1.1) to WRT54G router

What happens if you type in http://192.168.1.1 in your browser?  Do you get prompted for a username/password?  Do you get a response if you run ping 192.168.1.1?

artsmith222

Until a few minutes ago, if I typed in that address, it would just act like a website it could not find. However, ping-ing returned 4 replies.

But good news.

First, this morning, I powered down the modem and router, and then slowly restarted them. Forgot about checking for the address.

Later, I figured out why i could not connect Internet on my new computer - the wireless switch was off. Once I got it started, I tried and it COULD get to that address. I went back to my old computer, and tada, I could get to 192.168.1.1 

So I don't know why ping-ing worked yesterday, but the weblink did not. But now, everything is working well!

gschroeder

I am having the samae problem to login but my wep had a password, now I cannot login to my router. Thanks

Expert
FurryNutz

Make sure that any 3rd party security browser add-ons are disabled or not allowed while using the routers web page. 

Try a different browser to test to see if problem follows. 

Try a different device to see if the problem follows.

Try Opera or FF? If IE 8, 9, 10 or 11, set compatibility mode and test again.
Disable any security browser Add-ons like No Script and Ad-Block or configure them to allow All Pages when connected to the router.
Clear all browser caches.
Be sure to log into the Admin account on the router.
Try turning off these features in Chrome:
Top right corner, little bars for options > Settings > Settings (on left) > Show advanced settings.
Uncheck these:
Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors
Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar
Predict network actions to improve page load performance
Enable phishing and malware protection

pepper_mint

Hi gschroeder, you mentioned that you had a WEP password. That's not the same password that you need to use in accessing the setup page of the router though.

Please try to access the setup page of the router using a PC that is wired to the router and by typing in 192.168.1.1 on its address bar. Please leave the Username field blank and type in "admin"as the password. If that doesn't work, try to use any of your favorite passwords and still leave the Username field as blank. If it still doesn't work, your last option is to hard reset the device. But try the above steps first and see how it goes.