mikdi

Captive Portal with WRT150N?

I am testing out a few methods of initiating Captive Portal wifi access in my office and am running into what appears to be limitation of the wireless router (WRT150N). I think i may need to use a straight access point rather than the device that I have unless there is an available firmware version that enables Captive Portal to derive from the router. Does anyone have any experience or know of some methods to apply Captive Portal using the following setup scenario?

T1 Internet>Soekris Net 4501 (running m0n0wall w/ Captive Portal and DHCP enabled on OPT1 interface)>Linksys WRT150N Router (DHCP disabled, Static IP)>Small NetGear hub>Internet Access patch panel

This is essentially how I have things tied together. Where I think I have a primary problem is trying to push DHCP from the firewall through the Linksys to my devices. If I setup my device (either hardwired or wireless) with Static IP settings, I can get to the Internet. So something is going right. However, Captive Portal is not "kicking in" and redirecting me. I believe this to be because of the non-DHCP problem. Has anyone attempted anything as crazy as this? Would I have better luck with another router or perhaps Access Point? All suggestions/opinions welcome.
gandalf

Re: Captive Portal with WRT150N?

Hi… I hope you have configured this router to work as a Switch/ Access Point (i.e. LAN to LAN connection with DHCP disabled). If that true then you should not any issue with DHCP lease as well as Captive Portal. Make sure that you have not connected any cable to WAN (Internet) port of Linksys router and IP address of the Linksys router is in the same subnet of Soekris Net 4501.

mikdi

Thanks for the input. Well, I had made a mistake and was using the WAN port on the router. I changed things and use the router as a switch and DHCP began to work instantly. So this solved the first problem. Now I believe the routing is working and DHCP is assigning addresses properly, but I cannot reach the Internet still.

Does anyone know if there might be a firmware version for this router that supports captive portal? I was thinking of testing my configuration by removing the firewall if I could setup Captive Portal directly on the router. For my Internet connection I have a static IP. In m0n0wall, I'm using all 3 interfaces, the WAN, LAN, and OPT1 (for captive portal).

Did you figure out how to get to the internet. I have almost the same set up but I can't get to the internet either. I can see and get to my other computers, just not the internet.
Craig
mikdi

Hi. No I have still have not had any luck getting to the Internet with my T1 router --> Soekris --> Lynksys setup. After trying so many things, I believe that my particular problem must lie with the Soekris config in some means. I am waiting for a new T1 line to be installed at another location of ours and have a new Soekris 4811 firewall/T1 router with a custom m0n0wal config. Hopefully with this I can try a similar setup to test using the Lynksys in this manner. With it basically acting as a switch and passing traffic, you would think the Internet should be accessible. I'm also still waiting for a new firmware update that may add additional features or abilities. I'd like to have captive portal working, a very simple version without the need for a RADIUS server, etc. Thanks for noticing my post and commenting.

Hmm...pretty interesting. What redirection mode did you use for m0n0wall? (http or dns) Have you tried disabling the NAT on the router as well as unchecking the block anonymous internet requests on the security tab?

I have a similar setup on a T1----media converter----WRT54G setup. Basically, the router was able to get public wan ip addresses on the status page. So do the computers behind it (wired and wireless) but they aren't online. We pinged the three dns numbers on the router, only 1 replied. Now, the ISP has Cisco all-access installed on the converter (quite similar to captive portal) and it shows up on every computer when we try to go online. We open up the browser, it prompts for the authentication. We fill-in the details but still it doesn't go online. Bottom line was we cloned the mac of the main computer and they didn't need to authenticate...but then again it defeats the purpose of the software.

Also, the router was set as a DHCP server with NAT enabled. I'm thinking that the router's firewall still blocks your computers even when it's already set as a switch. Try to disable the NAT and see if it works.

I got it working here.
Here is my setup .....

Actiontec MI424WR - DHCP - enabled, Wireless - Disabled, Main computer connected by CAT5/6

WRT150N - Connected from Port 3 on Actiontec to Port 1 on WRT150N
Setup - Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Changed IP to 192.168.1.3
DHCP - Disabled
Advanced Routing - NAT - Disabled, Dynamic Routing (RIP) Disabled

Wireless - ON
Basic Settings - Network Mode - Mixed
Wireless Security - PSK-Personal

Security - Firewall - SPI - Disabled

Working for over a week now ok.

Craig