Cascading Routers

I'm having alot of trouble getting this to work. 

My setup:      DSL

Main:       E1500

Secondary: EA3500

The issue is, I can just hook the Cat cable from my laptop to a ethernet port on the secondary, and I get internet. But when I take the secondary to where its going to be placed and hook a Cat cable from a desktop to an ethernet port on the router I get no internet access.

In both casesI'm hooking a Cat cable from an ethernet port of the Main to the Internet port on the secondary. I dont understand how it can work with one computer and not the other.  

The desktop I'm connecting is a Dell with Win X on it    vs a Toshiba laptop with Win 7 on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've spent many hours working on this to no avail. Been through all the manual setup procedures and tried it several diff ways.  Am I missing something simple?

Thanks in advance.

Expert

Re: Cascading Routers

Temporarily turn off the wireless capability on your laptop and check if the internet is still working. You might also find this link useful.

Ann_18678
Linksys Technical Support

Thanks for the reply. I did have wireless off unfortunatly.  The link you provided is also one of the procedures I tried..  i'm beginning to think its a Win X problem.

Expert

Hi Jawbreaker. What IP address is the desktop getting from the router when  wired directly to it? Try to check it as there is a possibility that the computer is set to have static IP address thus,  it is unable to get Internet connection from the router. If it is, please set it to Automatic IP configuration and see how it goes.  

LIezl-10104

Linksys Technical Support

Thanks for the reply.  I have not looked at the IP itself , but I have looked under the adapter sttings and confirmed its set to automatically obtain IP.

ATM, I have my laptop and the desktop side by side. the router is hooked to the wall jack and both computers are hooked to an ethernet port on the router. the laptop has internet, the desktop does not.. craziness..lol

Expert

are you trying to use lan to wan or lan to lan? if you are turning off the dhcp on the secondary router  then move the cable from the wan pprt to a lan port.  

If you have been helped by responses from me or others on this site please
feel free to hit their kudos button! thanks

Hardware:
WRT3200ACM
Firmware: davidc502 works great!
EA6900 Stock Firmware

Im using lan to wan, however, i did try lan to lan and turned off dhcp..neither worked . I cant figure it out even though im sure its a win 10 issue. At least i think it is
Expert

make sure the laptop isn't using the wifi for a connection and is in fact connected to the ethernet.  when connected to the secondary router are you able to log into that router? if so check the port status of the desktop.  under the troubleshoot tab is a link for report and it shows the ports or enter <your router ip>/sysinfo.cgi and find it there

If you have been helped by responses from me or others on this site please
feel free to hit their kudos button! thanks

Hardware:
WRT3200ACM
Firmware: davidc502 works great!
EA6900 Stock Firmware
Expert

On the PC that is having the connection issue when connected to the secondary router run the below prompt command and post the output:

ipconfig /all

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have'nt given up, just been super busy with the holiday.  I'm going to try to get the results tonight.

Edit:  The setup is an E1500 as Primary

An EA3500 as secondary

And I'm using multiple laptops as test mules. 1 with Windows 7

1 with Windows 8.1

1 with Windows 10

The desktop is a 1 yr old Dell with Windows 10.