Rexer

Centurytel upgrade renders linksys router inoperable

Yesterday when I got home my DSL was down. I did the usual reset on all the equipment several times with no success. Called Centurytel and they informed me that in Missouri they had just upgraded their equipment and to try to bypass the router. Sure enough it now works (as long as I don't use the router). Their advice was to contact linsys for a patch to the pppoe connection. I first contacted them via phone and received no help. I then tried their website and found that the firmware versions available were already loaded on my router and wireless access point.

Does anyone have any insight on this issue? Is there any other upgrade to a router other than the firmware?  My setup was working so well that I essentially took it for granted other than an occasional reboot.  It's flabbergasting to have everything working fine one day and broke the next as a result of action on the part of my ISP with no advance notice.

Linksys Router - BEFSR41
Linksys Wireless Access point - WAP11
jaimee27

Re: Centurytel upgrade renders linksys router inoperable

I got the garbage from centurytel...only one pc can connect at a time now, but no one but centurytel knows that a patch exists I guess!
jaimee27

After calling centurytel again for the 4th time, they admit they have no known fix....thats just great...
Rexer

Jaimee,

I've been at work all day and have not been able to pursue a correction to this problem.  In fact I will be out of action for the next week and unable to tend to it.  However, I did submit my dilemma to an internal forum at my place of employment.  A fellow employee who was having the same problem gave me this response.  Perhaps it will help you:

Rex,

I got my router working again with CenturyTel DSL. I changed two things.

First, I changed the router's IP address to 192.168.2.1. Prior to this, the router was always 192.168.1.1, which conflicts with the DSL modem. This did not fix the problem, but at least now I'm able to connect to BOTH the router and the modem from my PC. I had to reboot after this change for some reason.

I still could not connect to the Internet via the router, however. I fixed this on the Basic Setup page by changing the Internet Connection Type from "PPPoE" to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP". Once I made this change, it hooked right up and just worked.

I've ALWAYS used PPPoE up to this point, and had even tried the DHCP option in the past. I guess this is what they changed. Perhaps newer routers detect that automatically.

At any rate, I hope this info helps.
jaimee27

Rex,

Thanks for sharing! I actually run DHCP already and my IP address was already changed, so I guess for me it isn't much help, but apparently different fixes have worked for different people which is the confusing part. They told me if I wanted to switch router/modems to the one centurytel provides that does both I could order one and it would definitely not have these issues. As much as I hate to cave in by giving this company more money, I spent too many hours with India today to fight any more! I will follow up with you if I find any more information!

Jaimee
Rexer

Jaimee,

I'm sorry to hear that.  As it turns out I was able to work with my system last evening.  I followed the instructions from my co-worker and I'm back up and going exactly like he suggested.

I'm not sure if I was clear, but changing the IP and setting it to DHCP had to be done on the Linksys router and not on your PC.  At any rate it sounds like you've got a solution in the mix.  It's sad that a couple of users can figure it out, but Centurytel having full-time employees supporting the system can't take a little time to figure it out and send some kind of document to assist it's users.

For my part, if I had any options, I would certainly entertain them.  For the money I pay them each month I expect better.

Better luck in the future.
webguy57

After talking with two tech support reps at CenturyTel and no luck, I asked to speak to a supervisor and the supervisor was very knowledgeable about the issue and actually worked with me to fix the problem. The supervisor did confirm that CenturyTel did upgrade their network in Missouri on 2-29-08 which is the reason that this fix is now necessary.

Step 1: As Rex and Jaimee discussed in previous posts in this discussion thread, Change the Local IP address on your Linksys router to 192.168.2.1 in the Linksys configuration settings and click "Save." Now reboot your computer.

Step 2: Log back into your Linksys configuration manager which is now 192.168.2.1. Now change your Connection Type to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" and then click "Save."

Step 3: Go to your Modem configuration settings by navigating to 192.168.1.1 in your browser. After it loads click on the "Profile Editor" button and then click on "new connection" which will open up a new window and the information to enter will be the same as your PPPoE settings were before in your Linksys router.  Enter your username and password into the new connection window and leave the other settings as they are by default and click on "new" to save the profile. Note: If you do not remember your PPPoE username or password, please contact Centurytel to obtain that information.

Note: It is important to follow these steps in order to properly fix the issue.

In summary, all that we are doing is moving the PPPoE information from the Linksys router to the modem settings.

Modem: Westell 6100

Linksys Router: WRT54GS

-Ron
jaimee27

Rex,

I will give centurytel credit here, after sitting on tech help with linksys for almost 6 hours combined, a technician had me hard reset everything and set it all back up as though I was new and it worked. Oddly, what worked for me was going back to the PPPoE setting on the router...I was always DHCP because thats what Linksys had me setup as. Least I am back up! Glad to hear you got there as well! Apparently this only happened if you were within a few minutes of Wentzville...next time might be easier to move :smileyhappy:

Jaimee
monkey boy

Webguy, I have been struggling with this off and on for a month. I probably called Centurytel 10 times. I am now convinced that this is a gimmick to force people to buy their wireless router. The last kid I talked to I told him I was switching to Charter if he could not help me or get me to someone who would help. He just kept blaming my router and told me "you gotta do what you gotta do." This was totally unprofessional. I blame management as well at Centurytel as none of the helpdesk people ever offered that they made this change. I believe the helpdesk people never new or were told not to say. With the help in this thread I did get mine to work. Anyone having problems like this follow the steps of Webguy. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I'm still considering Charter . . . Monkeys Rule!