Bakerrrr
Accepted Solution

Changing WEP to WPA2?

Hi, Is there anyway that I could change my wireless routers password from WEP security to WPA2 without resetting it? Basically I want an easy way to change the security type of my router. I have a wireless G 2.4 router model, thanks.
CJ1
CJ1

Re: Changing WEP to WPA2?

Yes, just login to the Admin account and (withou knowing which model you have) under the security settings, select WPA2 and set your password (or a pass phrase) and save the settings.

The router will not reset your other settings, it will probably need to reboot itself.

One thing, change the router first, then your PC (or other connected device).

Mommajo

I need to figure out how to change my wep password.  What is the web site address?

You should ask your question on the board by selecting the "New Message" feature on the forum home page.  Else, your message can be very easily overlooked. 

The IP address for the router's configuration page is 192.168.1.1   Enter that and the first thing that is sent is a "log-in" dialog.  Leave the User Name field blank, enter the password into the next field and press the <Enter> key.  The default password is "admin" (without the quotation marks), but you can -- and should - change it to something else by using the Administration tab of the configuration page.

Stardance

nil carborundum illegitimi!
hawkmom

Re: new password won't work

I changed my settings from a WEP64 bit to a 128 bit for my ITouch.  I also changed the SSID (recommended by Linksys).  I went in and changed my password.  However, the new password is not recognized and when I go into the Administration page, it shows the old password (by length of characters).

I am not familiar with the ITouch router itself.  When I set-up my WRT54G router, I changed the password from the default "admin" to another string of letters, symbols and digits.  It was accepted.  A year or so later, I attempted to change that

password to another one, but the router would not change to the new one.  I never did find out why it did not change. 

BUT,

one thing to always remember is that after you enter data or change settings on a "tab", down at the bottom of the "tab" 

there is at least one button labeled "Save Changes".  It might not appear on the display screen until you scroll down to 

the bottom.  You have to use that button or nothing that you have done will be changed.

Stardance

Hawkmom, you should ask your question on the board by selecting the "New Message" feature on the forum home page.  Else, your message can be very easily overlooked.

You should NOT be using any form of WEP, which was invented by engineers who knew little about cryptography,

because messages enciphered with WEP are readily decrypted by anyone who knows how it is broken.  I do not 

know what is available on the ITouch router, but if it has WPA2 with AES, configure it to use that one. You should

be able to do that by looking for the Security tab after you access the router with your web browser and enter the 

password.

Stardance

benj001

benj001

Stardance wrote:

Hawkmom, you should ask your question on the board by selecting the "New Message" feature on the forum home page.  Else, your message can be very easily overlooked.

You should NOT be using any form of WEP, which was invented by engineers who knew little about cryptography,

because messages enciphered with WEP are readily decrypted by anyone who knows how it is broken.  I do not 

know what is available on the ITouch router, but if it has WPA2 with AES, configure it to use that one. You should

be able to do that by looking for the Security tab after you access the router with your web browser and enter the 

password.