Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
brett123

Channel Width

Ive seen several recommendations for changing the channel width of the 2.4 band from Auto to 20mhz but I can find any info on what this actually does.

My questions are: does the 20mhz give better range at the expense of speed?  When would you want to select 40mhz instead of 20, or woulddnt "auto" just be better in that I would think it allows the router to determine whats better?  Just curious what this setting really does?  Thanks. 

Mort

Re: Channel Width

On 2.4 Mhz frequency you have two options of 20Mhz and 40Mhz. 20 Mhz channel is used by wireless B and G standard devices, however wireless N devices work better with 40Mhz channel. If you select auto channel the B/G devices would communicate with 20Mhz and N with 40Mhz. Hope this answers your query.
brett123

Thanks.  Just so I get it, is there an advantage to selecting either 20mhz or 40mhz rather than setting it to auto? Lets say its an all draft-N environment, is there a loss of speed or range if you set the 2.4 band to auto as oppossed to 40mhz?

Mort

If it is all Draft-N then I would recommend you to use 40MHz Radio Band as you will get good through put and less interference...Also you should use WPA Security instead of WEP...
mparas_04

Hi, in our company  we are using WLAN, all our equipment are Cisco. Our Access point and the wireless adapter are 802.11n. but the Channel Width was set to 20MHz, so the speed shows only half of the max speed of 150MHz. Is it better if we change the channel to 40MHz?