Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
hohansen
Accepted Solution

Cisco Connect and OpenDNS

I have been using OpenDNS for a long time, and I just got the Linksys E3000. When I tried to change the settings to add OpenDNS it said that some changes may cause the Cisco Connect software not to work anymore.

If I change the Static DNS 1 and 2 (https://store.opendns.com/setup/device/linksys) will I still be able to use all of the functions in the Cisco Connect software?

dibbler

Re: Cisco Connect and OpenDNS

Yes you will be. If you manually enter the Static DNS 1 and 2 on your Router you still will be able to use Cisco Connect Software. But if you change the Wireless Network Name or Security Key or Router Password manually, then you will not be able to use Cisco Connect Software.

H6N
H6N

I have just bought a EA4500. Despite setting the static DNS for opendns, when I connect to my ISP on the status page it uses the ISP's DNS servers.
vai_fan

According to this reference you can try the following:

A] With the help of Cisco Connect Software (if at all you have installed the router with the help of this software)

1] Open the software and go to the option which says "Router Settings"

2] Then click on the option which says "Advanced Settings" which will take you to the router's configuration page.

3] Then go to the Status tab, and then click on DHCP Release and DHCP Renew button.

B] If you haven't installed Cisco Connect then you can log on to the router's user interface using its default IP address in the browser which is 192.168.1.1 and type in 'admin' as the password leaving the user name field blank. This will take you to the router's web interface and then follow steps as mentioned above to make the changes.

Then check the status..

H6N
H6N

I tried releasing and renewing and that did not work.  An other ideas?

H6N
H6N

I still can't get the EA4500 to work with Opendns. Does anyone else have this problem? I put in the Opendns ip addresses on the setup page but on the status page is shows my ISP's DNS.
vai_fan

Try to reflash the firmware manually for the router once which can be downloaded from the Linksys/Cisco website. After successful firmware upgrade you need to reset the Router. It is recommended to reset the router once. Steps to reset the router:

Push the reset button on router for 30 seconds, turn off the router wait for 30 seconds and then power it on. Power light should blink when you perform the reset process.

After reset, reconfigure the router and then check the connectivity status… 

H6N
H6N

I can't find the firmware file.  On the linksys website is says no download needed. Do you know where I can get it?

vai_fan

If your connection type is Static IP, then it will show you all the information that you put in on the setup page of the router (IP address, subnet mask, gateway, DNS). Else, it will show you the DNS being provided by ISP.

H6N
H6N

My conection type is PPPOE.  I put the OpenDNS DNS in the setup page but in the stauts page it shows my ISP's DNS.  It worked fine when I had a linksys WRT54G but doesn't for my EA4500.