Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
miasmicnormalcy

Comcast Cable Internet not working with router (WRT54G), but network is fine?

My Comcast Cable Internet is not working with my router (WRT54G), but my home network is fine. The internet works without router.

I have a WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router from Linksys.

I was using Bellsouth DSL Internet up until two weeks ago.

I had my DSL modem connected to my router, and the router let me use the internet and share some files and printers with my laptop upstairs.

A few weeks ago we changed to Comcast cable. The technician came in and connected it himself, but only for the desktop. The internet worked perfectly, and still works perfectly on my desktop (the one downstairs). He didn't really give me any instruction or CD-roms for it.

When I tried connecting my router, the internet stopped working. It was weird because the router worked for the file sharing and printer sharing between both my computers, but the internet didn't work. Although, the light for the internet is lit on the router itself.

I even have this program called "AOL Network Magic" which shows a map of what is connected to the router, and it shows that the router and my laptop and desktop are connected, but then it has an "X" for the internet connection.

I have tried everything. I lost all of my CDs and things that came with Linksys, but I downloaded some guides from the Linksys website and it doesn't really help. I tried something called "NetSet", but after I set everything up it says my router is not compatible or something with NetSet. I read a bunch of FAQs, I tried going to comcast and seeing if they had any FAQS about it, but I can't find anything.

Maybe one of you can help me?

Also, I don't know my modem's IP address. I had it for Bellsouth, and sometimes when I would lose my connection I would go there and click on "reconnect" or something like that.

So the only way I can use the internet is to disconnect everything from my router and connect the ethernet cable directly to the modem.
miasmicnormalcy

Re: Comcast Cable Internet not working with router (WRT54G), but network is fine?

BTW, the internet doesn't work on either computer. On my laptop or on my desktop, when I connect the router.
Brenda

Re: Comcast Cable Internet not working with router (WRT54G), but network is fine?

Since you havent mentioned about reseting the router, I think that is the reason why you cant connect both your computers to the internet. The router is still set to a PPPOE connections since you had a DSL provider. Now since you have a Cable provider you need to set the router to a DHCP connection.  Im afraid but you have to reset your router and do a powercycle.

Disconnect everything to your router but the power. Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, after that unplug the power.

Powercycle meaning turning off everything ( the modem, router and the PC's) Since router is already off just unplugged the power to your cable modem and shutdown the PC's.

Connect all cables back. Cable modem to the internet port of the router. Turn the power on from modem to router to PC's and walla! internet "should" be working! As well as the network.

Tell me if this works.

MyPOV

Thanks!!!

It worked!!! :smileyvery-happy:

Who would have known that just unplugging and replugging some cables would fix it! :smileyvery-happy:

But only one problem left.

How come I can't access my router's IP address so I can change my Linksys settings? I want to put a password on it, but when I put the IP address on the address bar, it never comes out.

It was coming out before when the router and internet wasn't working. I even disconnected the internet.

Figures...
SPAWN_06

You may open the web setup utility page of the router by typing its IP address on your browser's address bar. By default, it is 192.168.1.1.  When you're asked for username, you may leave it blank.  For password, its "admin". If in case that does not work, reset your router at the back for 30 secs and do a power cycle again, see if it becomes accessible after that...:smileywink:
"The war between heaven and hell depends on the choices we make, and those choices require sacrifice. That's the test"
miasmicnormalcy

Oh, no wonder, I was putting my WPA password.

Thanks, it worked! :smileyvery-happy:

Thank you all for all of your help.