Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
meso1

Configurating DSL for Two Computers?

Just received my WRT54GS. Want to connect it with a new wireless notebook which I'm configuring for networking and internet usage. The OS for the notebook is Windows Vista Home Premium. Currently, the only DSL/Ethernet connection I have is with a desktop and the external modem for the DSL. I do not have nor am I using any networking capabilities on the desktop.

I have not gone through the EasyLink CD for setup yet but am I to understand with what I've read so far that I can still keep my DSL connection connected for both my desktop as well as with my notebook via an ethernet cable going from one of the ethernet ports on the back of the router to the ethernet port on the desktop? If so, do I need to have any DSL sofware and ISP software on my notebook as well?

I have no problem with doing the entire setup with the router and my DSL connection on just the notebook. I just thought before I did any configurating for the modem and DSL on the notebook alone I thought I would check to see if I could set it up to work both ways at the same time. Thanks.
toomanydonuts

Re: Configurating DSL for Two Computers?

[ Edited ]
Your WRT54GS router is designed to allow you to share one DSL line with several home computers.   The computers can connect to the router by wire or wirelessly.  To connect by wire, the computer will need an ethernet port (sometimes called a 10/100 port, or 10/100/1000 port, or gigabit port, or RJ-45 port).  To connect wirelessly, the computer will need a wireless card.  Any wireless b, g, or n card should be able to make a connection to the router.

I am not sure what you mean by "DSL software".  Normally a DSL modem does not require any software.

For a wired connection to the router, all you need is a browser (such as Internet Explorer) and a working ethernet port on the computer.  Most ISPs do not require you to use any of their software, unless you want to use specific features of their system.  For example, some ISPs provide your computer with free antivirus software, and if you want to use this, you may need to install the ISPs software for this.  I am not familiar with all ISPs, so check with your ISP to see if they require you to use any of their software.

You can setup a single computer so that it can connect to the router both by wire and wirelessly, however, you cannot use both connections at the same time.  At any given time, you must choose one or the other.

Your setup will look something like this:

DSL modem ---- WRT54GS  ----- wired computer 1
                             v                 ----- wired computer 2 (optional)
                             v
                           wireless computer(s)

Note that the computers are all connected to the router, not to each other, and not to the modem.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 08-08-2007 05:38 AM
meso1

My new notebook has an inbuilt wireless card with the 802.11a/b/g/n (draft 802.11n) WLAN and Bluetooth configuration.

In regards to having to use any DSL software I guess what I was trying to ask was do I need to set up my notebook whereby I just connect the DSL cable directly to the Ethernet port like I currently do with my desktop to see if things are working correctly that way BEFORE I set things up with the router? I've not done or used any kind of hookup on the notebook for any kind of internet usage which I've only had a week or so now.

Going back to one of my original questions; can I still have an internet connection both for my notebook (wireless) and desktop (wired) by connecting the DSL cable to the Internet port on the router, a ethernet cable from one of the ports on back of the router to where (? I'm not sure where; to the computer itself or the modem?) for my desktop, and nothing wired between my wireles notebook and the router?

I'm probably trying to make this more difficult than it is but appreciate your help. Thanks again.
Shahzad

Old senario: DSL modem connected to the desktop via ethernet cable.
New senario: Remove the ethernet cable from desktop and put into WRT on WAN/Internet port (Donot use the other 4 ethernet ports).
Now  you need to have another spare ethernet cable with you need to connect from WRT ethernet port(Can be anyone out of 4 ports) to the desktop.Your desktop should start working as normal, Goto the laptop >  open wireless connection, it will search Linksys(SSID) double click and connect.

Note: Incase if your unable to browse. Goto router setup and look for MAC Clone, here you need to speacifiy DSL modem MAC address(which you may find at the bottom or back of the modem). You need to do such thing in case of the ISP is restrict the connection for one PC only.
meso1

So should I go through the EasyLink software first before making any hookup changes?
toomanydonuts

Yes, the Easylink software will, in most cases, successfully guide you through the setup process.
meso1

I know I keep asking questions but this is all new to me and I want to try and get things setup correctly without having to go back and look for answers that I should have asked before.

Regarding your reply on August 7, you state in your one paragraph that if I setup for just a single computer I can't use both a wire and wireless connection at the same time and must use one or the other. Shahzad kind of touches on this with a post on August 8 to a question I made regarding the configuration I wanted to do with my notebook (wireless) and desktop (wired).

1. Is there something I need to do to disconnect from the internet on one computer before I use the other one? Example: If I'm using my notebook upstairs but decide to go downstairs and use my desktop to get online are there steps I need to take with my notebook first, such as disconnecting with the internet (or disconnecting from the router) first before signing on again on the desktop or vice versa?

2. If configuring for DSL connections to use both computers are there going to be issues with such things as automatic updates for the OS (XP and Vista) or with software updates for certain peripheral hardware (external hard drives) that I may have on one computer but not the other? In other words, is an update going to be done on the wrong computer?

3. Do I have to run the Linksys software each time I decide to connect (or disconnect) one of the ethernet cables from the back of one of the ports of the router?

Thanks for bearing with me.
toomanydonuts

1)  You can connect several computers to the router at the same time, some wired and some wireless, or all wired, or all wireless.  The thing that you cannot do is, using one computer, simultaneously make a wired and a wireless connection  (i.e. 2 connections to the router at the same time from the same computer).  With a single computer, you can connect it to the router by wire, and then at other times (when you are not wired to the router) connect it to the router wirelessly.

You do not need to disconnect one computer to use another.  All the computers can connect to the router at the same time and they can all share the one DSL connection to the Internet.  If several people are "surfing the web"  (i.e. going to different web sites) at the same time, you will notice little or no degredation in your DSL speed.  However, if several people are doing large downloads from the Internet at the same time, then you will notice some slowdown, because you are all sharing the same DSL line.

2)  Each computer will be able to ask for, and get, its own automatic updates.   I have occasionally had problems when 2 computers were accessing the same web site at the same time and asking for the same updates.  This problem can easily be handled using the sheduling program.  For example, one computer can be set to ask for automatic updates at 12:10 a.m and to recheck every 3 hours.  The other computer can be set to ask for automatic updates at 1:10 a.m and to recheck every 3 hours.  Windows Scheduler can be used for this job.

3)  Ethernet cables are, for the most part, "hot plug-able".  That is, you can connect or disconnect an Ethernet cable when the devices (computers, router, etc.) are already turned on.  You must exercise some judgement when you do this.  Obviously, if you just asked one computer to transfer a file to another computer, you do not want to pull out the cable.  But as long as the ethernet cable is not being used, you can just unplug it.
You do not need any Linksys software to do this.  This feature is standard for Ethernet devices.

Note that the Linksys router software is only used to help setup the router.  Once the router is setup and working, you do not need to use it.

It sounds like it would help if you took the Linksys networking lessons.  Go to Linksys.com > Learning Center
There are several different lessons there that will help get you started.

saulf

It appears that when I have two computers hard wired and connected to the network thorugh the WRT54GS router, the network seems have problems haning up each computer. Can't print form a networked printer either.