Gruven

Configure default gateway on Linksys router

I have a Linksys WRT54GX4 wireless router and am having trouble trying to configure its default gateway.

Here is how my network is configured:

internet -> 2wire wifi router/adsl modem (192.168.50.1) -> linksys router (192.168.50.2) -> wifi/wired clients

I've disabled the wifi on the 2wire router and also disabled DHCP on the 2wire router.

I've enabled both wireless and DHCP on the linksys router and and my devices are connected to this router.

The majority of my devices have static IPs, so I'm able to configure the DNS and default gateway on these PCs to point to 192.168.50.1 which has the internet connection. Internet and DNS works fine on these PCs.

However, sometimes I want I connect other devices on my network and want to use DHCP. The PCs are able to obtain an IP within the DHCP range of the Linksys router (192.168.50.2). However, these DHCP clients have their default gateway configured pointed to 192.168.50.2 which prevents them to get onto the internet. I would like to configure this default gateway on the linksys router to 192.168.50.1 instead.

Any suggestions? Should I reconfigure the network?

In case you might ask, the reason why I prefer not to 2wire for DHCP and wireless is because its not as configurable as I'd like it to be. The linksys allows me to configure internet access times (for kid's computer) as well as additional firewall restrictions, where as the 2wire doesn't.

Expert
Expert

Re: Configure default gateway on Linksys router

I assume here you have connected a LAN port of the Linksys to the 2wire. The internet port of the Linksys is not connected.

1. With the setup you have you cannot use the DHCP server on the Linksys. You have to turn it off and use the DHCP server in the 2wire. The WRT will always set its own IP address as gateway address in DHCP offers.

2. The way you have connected the Linksys router firewall and access restrictions are not working. These work only if the Linksys has the internet connection. In your setup the 2wire is the internet gateway and that's the place where your firewall is and that's where you have to implement access restrictions. The Linksys only bridges wired and wireless connections into the 2wire LAN. There is no filtering on that side of the Linksys.

That means: either you set up the 2wire for everything you want or if that's not possible you have to reconfigure the Linksys as internet gateway, probably for PPPoE. You will also have to reconfigure the 2wire modem/router into "bridge" mode (or whatever they may have called it), basically turning off the router functions on the 2wire device and turning it into a standard modem.
Gruven

thanks for the reply..

to answer your first question, yes, it is connected to the LAN port and not the uplink/wan port.

optimally, I would prefer to configure the linksys to do everything and the 2wire to only act as a modem/bridge mode. Problem is, the 2wire modem from my provider is pretty locked down, and I don't have the option to do so. I tried configuring PPPoE on the linksys, but that obviously didn't work. 

Expert
Expert

Then you already have the best setup possible. You could chain both routers, i.e. changing the local IP address of the WRT to something outside the 2wire LAN and then hook it up through the internet port. Then you can use access restrictions on the WRT. However, I would not recommend this.

1. two chained routers may affect throughput and even stability. Not necessarily, but well possible.

2. the access restrictions are no match for a child or teenager anyway. They won't effectively work against a child. Children always find ways to circumvent them.

3. the firewall on the WRT is not really effective, because the 2wire already blocks everything off due to NAT.

4. If you ever need port forwarding into your LAN two chained routers are difficult because you have to set up two forwardings.

I would suggest you leave it the way it is at the moment. In my opinion this is the best way to set it up if you cannot set up the 2wire modem/router as bridge. You could call your ISP and ask them to make the change for you. They should do that.