Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
437n884w

Configuring e1200 as wireless bridge

I'm considering purchasing the "Cisco Linksys - E1200 Wireless-N Router with 4-Port Ethernet Switch". Before I do, however, I want to know how to configure it as a wireless bridge to my existing wireless network.

I have a hardware device with only an ethernet connection (no wireless option avaialble). I want to connect the device to a wireless router / access point, in this case it would be the e1200, and then connect to my existing wireless network. The e1200 would be acting like a client of the existing network.

I found this article but Step 8 is causing concern. I do not want a wired connection. The two routers must connect wirelessly.

Title: Setting up your Linksys Wireless-N router on Bridge Mode

Article ID: 24583

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Expert
sabretooth

Re: Configuring e1200 as wireless bridge

[ Edited ]

Sorry you can not connect two routers wirelessly, you must use a wire, unless you load 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT.

Jake_2.0

The router is not design to act as an Wireless ethernet bridge,wireless repeater or an access point client. You need to load a tird party firmware for that to happen.

Expert
sabretooth

Must be an echo in here.

brickmonkey

There are two (2) ways to connect a Linksys router to another router/modem:

1. LAN to LAN – Connecting one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of the Linksys router (router A) to one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of another router (router B).

This type of cascading requires the main and the secondary router to be on the same LAN IP segment to allow the computers and other devices to connect to both routers.  This configuration is recommended if you want to share files and resources within the network.

2. LAN to WAN – Connecting one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of router A to the Internet port (WAN port) of router B.

This type of cascading requires the main router and the secondary router to have different IP addresses.  This connection makes it easier to identify which router the computers and other devices in the network are connected to since they will have different LAN IP segments.  However, computers that are connected to router A will not be able to communicate with router B, and vice versa since they are two different networks.

Here is the link: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=785463d9ecaf4cac84aed245b08d615f_3733.xml&pid=80&r...

chica-dora

here's an article related to your bridge setup:   Setting up your Linksys Wireless-N router on Bridge Mode

Expert
Expert

chica-dora wrote:

here's an article related to your bridge setup:   Setting up your Linksys Wireless-N router on Bridge Mode

Please read before posting!!

The E1200 cannot be configured as wireless bridge!

The bridge mode you can configure is for wired bridging. It bridges the WAN and LAN ports. That's it.

The E1200 won't operate as wireless bridge. It won't connect through wireless to another access point.

Please read the thread before posting! It's has been mentioned multiple times that it does not support wireless bridging.

chica-dora

hi gv, if you read in the article, E1200 v2 i included in the list.

Expert
Expert

chica-dora wrote:

hi gv, if you read in the article, E1200 v2 i included in the list.

If you read the article you'll notice that it's about wired connections. Not about a wireless bridge.

The bridge mode in the article has nothing to do with a "wireless bridge".

As I wrote before:

bridge mode bridges WAN and LAN ports. If you want it's a "wired bridge".

A wireless bridge bridges two wired segments through a wireless link. That's something completely different and not covered by that article or any other article because it's not supported.

I can only repeat: Please, please, please read before posting and understand what it's about.

Only because it's called "bridge" in both cases doesn't mean it's the same thing.