Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
bwalsh

Connect Wireless Router to Hotel Hotspot?

Hi. 

I'm going to a hotel that _only_ has wireless (ie no wired/hard-wire) internet access.  The internet access is pay-for-a-day where you pay a fixed price for unlimited access for 24 hours.  It goes without saying that there's a pay/logon screen that you have to go through before you can go to "normal" sites like Google.  I'd like to connect a wireless router (WRT54gc but I can take a bigger WRT54g or a WRT54gs if necessary) to the hotel's wireless network so that I can take advantage of the hardware based firewall and to share the connection with my iPhone.  Is there any way to do this?  If so, how can I get the router to get through the logon page etc?  Do I need different equiptment?

Thanks.

Bigmatt

Re: Connect Wireless Router to Hotel Hotspot?

Just use the login information for your iphone you are with your computer.
GoodLuck

Matt :smileyhappy:
bwalsh

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

My question was more along the lines of what I need to do to connect the wireless router to the Hotel's _wireless-only_ internet hotspot that typically has a login page and then share the connection with my computer.  I've connected to _wired_ hotel internet fine but I'm going to be staying at a hotel that only has wireless in the rooms.

So let's say I pay for full day internet access by using my computer so I get that over and done with.  I now want to connect  my wireless router to the hotel's wireless network so I can use the hardware firewall and share the connection.  How would I go about connecting the two wireless networks?  How should I configure things?  would I have a different subnet from the hotel?  Would my computer/iPhone get DHCP from the router or the hotel?  How do I tell the router to "find" the hotel's wireless network?   How would the router handle the login page? etc.

Thank you.

Bigmatt

You would have to bridge the connection, But i don't think that they would let you do that.

Just to make sure I'm getting this right you want to connect your router to a hotels router?? 

If that's the case they won't let you do that it would be a security risk.

GoodLuck

bwalsh

Hi.

I don't want to connect my router (WRT54gc/g/or gs) directly to the hotel's router.  I just want to be able to share the connection.  But the problem I think I'm going to have is, the hotel only has wireless access in the rooms and it's a Hotspot so you have typically have to login each time.

So:

How do I tell my router to find and connect to the hotel's wireless system and login to their hotspot?

How do I configure the IP/subnet of my router?

Should I leave DHCP on or off if I want more than one device (computer and phone) to access at the same time?

hote: the hotel does not have any wireless encryption.

In the old hotels with hard-wire lines, I just plugged the network cable from the hotel into the router and was off and running.  But with the wireless networks many hotels are using now, I dont' know how to configure my router.

Thanks

Bigmatt

Keep DHCP on, I am pretty sure the only way for you to do this at a hotel is to set the router up as a bridge and connect that way.

Their should be a wireless setting some where on the web utility to set a bridge.

I have never see some one do this at a hotel so let me know if it works...

GoodLuck

bwalsh

Thanks.
Gollum

As far as i think the WRT54G and WRT54GS router will not work with the Hotel Hotspots. In this you need to get a Travell Router i.e WTR54GS. With this router you can connect to your Hotel Hotspot wirelessly and this router will make your Computer and the Iphone go online Wirelessly to the Internet.