xwolfhoundx

Connected to router but no internet (fibre optics)

Hi, so I have recently switched to fibre optics and I have decided to reuse my Linksys E4200 that was previously used with a cable network. However, After installing the router using the disk provided I was unable to connect to the internet even though my computer was able to connect with the router. What can I do to solve this prob. I have tried restarting the modem to the factory settings and the same problem recurs.

P.S. The modem was installed to another router provided by my service provider.
jaymay

Re: Connected to router but no internet (fibre optics)

When you said that 'even though my computer was able to connect with the router' did you mean your computer is able to connect to the wireless network of the router? Since you switched to fibre optics, the router might need to be reconfigured for it to work with your fibre optics connection. Do a hard reset on the router first - push and hold the reset button on the router for 30seconds then power it off for 10-15 seconds. You can then reconfigure the router by either using the setup cd or doing it manually. If the setup cd won't work, you can go ahead and proceed with reconfiguring it manually. You may follow the steps provided on this link: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=0ff4c94586a345d082828ec2161aaecf_3686.xml&pid=80&r.... With fibre optics connection, you may treat it as a cable connection.

Expert
jlbjlb

If you had previously installed Cisco connect on your computer to setup the linksys with the cable modem, you should uninstall the Cisco connect software from your computer, reboot your computer. And as mentioned above, reset linksys to factory defaults by pressing and holding the reset button for 15 seconds.

And then just start over.
xwolfhoundx

The reset method didn't work. Then I tried connecting the modem to my computer and this error comes up "LAN doesn't have a valid IP configuration". And it seems that my computer is unable to automatically fix the problem.
jaymay

You may have to restart the computer for it to grab the correct IP configuration from the modem. If that won't work, try to power off the modem for couple of seconds. Wait for the lights to sync up. Check then the connection on the computer as well as the IP configuration. Connect then the modem and computer back to the router. Try to do one more reset then do the reconfiguration again.

xwolfhoundx

Tried restarting the computer an turning off the modem. It didn't work
ylime1984

Since your pc doesn't have internet connection connected straight to your modem even after you restarted the pc and so with the modem, you might have to call your internet provider so they can re-establish the internet thru it. Could be that the settings was messed-up or something. Generally. before you set up a router regardless of the modem, you always make sure that the internet coming from the modem is stable (from ISP). BTW, let us know the ip address your getting once the internet is working straight to the modem.