stephenmbell

Connecting 2 wireless routers / access points to my network ... cant run a wire... advice

I have my cable modem, linksys wireless router and a netgear switch connected in the office in my house.  This is located on the second floor, front, left side of my house. 

I just purchased a Samsung LCD TV with an ethernet jack on the back of it.  I have mounted this TV on my wall - and when I did, I ran a cat 5 cable into my basement.  The TV is mounted on the first floor, rear, right side of my house.  

After looking at this project - it appears as if it is going to be very difficult to run a cat 5 cable up to the entire opposite side of my house.  Is there some type of device that I could connect to the cat 5 cable in my basement, that would wirelessly connect to my router that is connected to my cable modem?  And therefore, give my TV internet access?

Thanks for any advice

sb

toomanydonuts

Re: Connecting 2 wireless routers / access points to my network ... cant run a wire... advice

You could use a wireless bridge, such as the WET200, WET54G, or WET610N.  This will connect wirelessly to your primary router, and give you one or more ethernet ports that you can use to plug in your TV or other devices.  Be sure to verify that your wireless signal is stong enough near the TV, to get a decent wireless connection.

Another option is a powerline adapter, such as the PLK300.  This pair of devices allows you to use your home wiring to substitute for an ethernet cable.  Note that the two powerline devices will need to be plugged into circuits that are connected to the "same side"  (i.e. right side or left side) of your electrical box.

If you need a speedy connection, for example for internet gaming or full screen video, the PLK300 should perform faster than a wireless connection.

oook

Re: Connecting 2 wireless routers / access points to my network ... cant run a wire... advice

toomanydonuts is absolutely right, you can either use Wireless Linksys Ethernet Bridge(WET54G), (WET200), (WET610N) or a PowerLine Kit(PLK200), (PLK300), (PLE200), (PLE300), (PLS300), (PLTK300)...

stephenmbell

WIll the WRE54G accomplish this as well?

Thanks,

sb

toomanydonuts

Looking at the User Guide, it appears that the WRE54G cannot be used as a wireless bridge.  The device does have an ethernet port, but it appears that it can only be used to setup the device, and not for wireless data transmission through the device.  Also, in the User Guide, I see no settings that would put the device into a wireless bridge mode.

DSE 1

Why not use a router that has 3rd party firmware that has a feature that is a Repeater Bridge? ???   I think that would be what you will need to do what you want.
ashkan2005

hello

please help me

i have a wireless network without wire.

how do connect accesspoint with router without wire or connect 2 router without wire