Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
unreal41

Connecting Adsl2mue modem to a WRT45G wireless router

I have a pc with a wmp54g wireless adapter in it downstairs, upstairs I have a PC connected to the internet via a usb adsl2mue modem. I have a  wrt45g wireless router also. I have tried to connect the modem and the router together but I cant get internet downstairs. The pc downstairs can see the wireless router as I can log onto the wireless routers setup page and the signal is excellent (it tells me) and the pc upstairs connects to the internet through the usb modem to me it looks like I need to get the modem and the router talking to each other, any ideas?
I have tried connecting the modem and router with an ethernet cable and I did at one stage get an connection via wireless downstairs, but that did not last long. I have them set to use dhcp and my modem has the BT username and password set up.
Expert
Expert

Re: Connecting Adsl2mue modem to a WRT45G wireless router

The proper way to set this up is to connect the modem to the internet port of the router and configure the router to make the internet connection. I would recommend you try to get this running. The alternative that you are mentioning is harder and you must have the computer connected to the modem running at all times.

What you have to do first is to configure the modem into 'bridge' mode. In bridge mode it works as a normal modem.

Then you can setup your router for a PPPoE connection using the username and password you have got from your ISP.

Connect the modem to the internet port of the router. Also remember to unplug the USB connection from the modem to the computer. The modem only handles one connection either from the ethernet port or the USB port and you don't want your computer interfering with the connection of the router.

When everything is set up you should be able to check the connection status on the router at http://192.168.1.1/ on the Status tab. Verify that you have a connection.

If not, try the MAC clone function in the router. Clone the MAC address of the computer which you used before with the modem. See if the router connects then.
unreal41

Ok, thanks, I will give that a go. Cheers.
unreal41

Just wamted to say thanks, your advice worked a treat. Cheers.:smileyvery-happy: