Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
joellau
Accepted Solution

Connecting Linksys E2500 to Router/Modem Combo?

I have a Linksys E2500 and I'm trying to connect it to my ISP provided router (Actiontec V1000H) because I wanted better range and consistent connectivity for my 6+ wireless devices.

My problem is that, to make this work, I connected an ethernet cable from the E2500's yellow internet port to one of my V1000H's LAN ports. This, however, did not give me access to the internet even though the network for my E2500 was available in the network list and selected as the default network. I then had to go the the advanced settings of the E2500, and changed the router IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.2. This granted me internet access.

However, everyone i've talked to including coworkers and experts at dslreports said that, because of what I've done I've set up a double NAT with 2 potentially conflicting IP addresses, and down the road weird issues will arise because of it. They also suggested I connect the E2500 to a dedicated modem to avoid this problem. However, the dedicated modem I was sent was faulty and did not allow internet access even through the ethernet connection. So, until I get a new dedicated modem, I have to use the router/modem combo.

What should I do? Should I set up the E2500 as just a wireless access point for my existing router/modem combo? What do I need to edit in the advanced settings? Or is there an alternative?

hiptechboy

Re: Connecting Linksys E2500 to Router/Modem Combo?

What is the IP address of the gateway? If it's 192.168.1.x, then change the router's ip address to 192.168.1.2. Also, disable the DHCP server on your router. This will make your router function as an AP/switch and you'll manage all the advanced routing features from the gateway. 

If you want to manage the features form the router, then you'll need to find out how to disable the gateway's routing features so that it will only function as a modem. 

I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.
Expert
jlbjlb

[ Edited ]
All you have to do is change your actiontec to bridge mode. Do a google search and type the name of your modem and the word "bridge". And then run the cd that came in the linksys/Cisco box.
joellau

Yes, my ISP router/modem is 192.168.1.1. If I interpreted what you said correctly, I should change my Linksys' IP to .1.2, disable the DHCP server option, and now to port forward and such, I'd have to do that through my ISP router/modem?

To reply to you both, unfortunately the Actiontech V1000H has old firmware that is locked by Telus, so I can't actually enable bridge mode on it.

Edit: So I tried that and my Linksys network is not connecting to the internet, while my V1000H network is still working. Do I need to change any of the ports that the wires are connected to now? Are they in the wrong position? Like I said before, the ethernet is in the yellow internet port on the Linksys and into a LAN port in the V1000H.

hiptechboy

Haha sorry, I forgot to tell you to make a LAN-LAN connection, not WAN-LAN

I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.
Jake_2.0

joellau

Well thanks for the help everyone. My internet connection is working, but I really can't tell if it's any better now than it was before. I guess time will tell.