chimerical

Connecting a Linksys WRT54G to Moto Surfboard SB5102E cable modem

I'm trying to connect a Linksys WRT54G to a Motorola Surfboard SB5102E cable modem, but there's no internet connectivity when it's modem --> router --> device (with each arrow representing an Ethernet cable).

I set the static IP in the Linksys router configuration based on the values of the IP/subnet mask/router-default-gateway/dns servers from when connecting a computer directly to the cable modem.

It goes something like:

IP: 119.xx.xx.244
Subnet Mask: 255.255.240.0
Router (assumed this meant default gateway): 119.xx.xx.1
DNS Servers: 210.xx.x.130, 221.x.xx.88, 116.xxx.xxx.250

I have no values for things like host name or domain name, so I left those blank.

Local IPs seem to be based on 192.168.1.1.

With these values saved, I try to connect online with the computer connected via Ethernet through the router to the cable modem, and no page ever loads unless I connect that computer directly to the cable modem.

Any thoughts on what configuration might be wrong?

(If I configure the Linksys router to enable cloning of the MAC address of the computer connected to it, it can go online again, but that does the other computers no good since I want other notebooks in the house to connect wirelessly.)

scrooge

Re: Connecting a Linksys WRT54G to Moto Surfboard SB5102E cable modem

Did you got the Static IP from your ISP?

When you connect your Modem directly to your computer, do you need to assign a static ip address on your computer in order to go Online?

If your Internet Service Provider is Cable follow this link