Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
IHATEROUTERS101

Connecting a PC to Wirless Router (WRT54G2 V1)

After moving, I've tried to connect my father's laptop and my father's girlfriend's daughter's PC to my Linksys Wireless Router, model #WRT54G2 V1. So far, I have steady and fast internet access on my PC which so far I've only gotten my father's laptop to connect through. However, I can't figure out how to get her PC to get internet access through my router. I'm mediocre at configuring computers, and I'm absolutely terrible at routers. :/ There was the possibility that her computer isn't new or advanced enough or whatever to be compatible with a wireless router, but at the same time she has a Wireless Network Setup Wizard app. in the control panel area, so wouldn't I be correct in assuming that if a computer has a wizard dedicated to it, it is compatible? I've run Wireless Network Setup Wizard as well as just plain Network Setup Wizard, and I've had them both read that it was successful connecting to my Router's network...but where do I go from there? I've never had to mess with a PC before so I'm not entirely sure. She has a modem, which can not be plugged into the phone jack at the same time as my modem otherwise we both do not have internet access, however if one of us plugs in that person is fine, so that's when I figured I'd try to get her PC into my network with my dad's laptop. Also, we have a Broadband connection setup through Verizon, if that matters at all. Does she need a modem to hook up to my network at all? If so, does that modem need to be plugged into the phone jack? If required I'll give her OS and PC specs and such, but from what I know just being on her computer she runs Windows XP as an OS and her computer is an "eMachine". Thank you for reading and any help is appreciated.
IHATEROUTERS101

Re: Connecting a PC to Wirless Router (WRT54G2 V1)

Any help? :smileysad:
richard804

The wireless network wizard is a joke.  You will need to use the same settings as your father's laptop to connect your friend's computer.
Simply log on to your router and go to wireless page and note the network name.
Now go to wireless security and note the information.
Go to your friend's computer and click on view wireless networks.
Your network name should appear.  Click on Connect
A window will appear asking for the passphrase or key.  Input information.
Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada
IHATEROUTERS101

Thank you very much, that makes a lot of sense lol but, I kind of can't log onto the router = / I don't remember the account/password. I've 'installed' the router so many different times before, I don't remember what it is :smileysad: Is there anyway I can find out the account/admin name? Or change it somehow? Since I'm in possession of the router as well as the CD it comeswith.
richard804

Reset router by pressing reset button on back of router using a ballpoint pen or pin.
You will have to configure your router to original settings using a computer that is wired to the router.
IHATEROUTERS101

Alright - the PC I'm on right now is the one working with the wireless router. One question though...if I hit the reset button, after a few minutes the laptop that has internet set up via router will get it back with my computer, too, right? After everything loads back up and stuff. Also, when I hit the reset button, does that make the router's admin account/password both "admin"? If not, how would I configure new settings through my PC? And again, thank you for the help.
richard804

[ Edited ]
Once, you hit the reset button, everything goes back to factory settings.  You will have to leave username blank and use admin to log on.
All your wireless settings will be gone.
Do you have Linksys Easy link Advisor (LELA) installed on your computer.  If you do, all your settings would be under Support.
Here is a link

Message Edited by richard804 on 10-05-2008 01:35 PM
IHATEROUTERS101

Alright - I hit the reset button, and using Admin as the account name and the password that I created, I logged onto my Router's settings. Sorry to sound so helpless but what do I do from here? To ask my question again, my goal is to get my friend's PC internet access via my wireless Router.
richard804

Use a computer wired to router
You will have to setup your wireless.
Go to wireless page and setup SSID Do not use Linksys as your network name use something else.  Example: Canadian  click on save.
Now go to wireless security and set mode to WPA2 personal.
Set Algorithms to TKIP+AES
Set passphrase or key.
Click on Save
Go to both computers using wireless and find network.  Example Canadian Secured Network
Click on it then hit connect
Input the passphrase or key.
All your computers should now connect without any problems

IHATEROUTERS101

"Go to both computers using wireless and find network." - I'm a little confused on this part, basically on what you mean. Besides that, I have everything done, and all those things that you told me to do were already done. The laptop is connected to the internet, however, now that the router is secure, what do I to get the internet access on the OTHER PC (the PC that isn't connected to the router)? I think that's what you mean by the sentence I quoted, but I'm unsure of what you mean exactly. Also...while on the wireless router settings page, there was Wi-Fi Protected Setup, which I was unable to complete - I tried the 3 things it listed and it kept saying "Connection Failed". Do I need to worry about this at all? And if I do, what aren't I doing right? I'm pressing the wi-fi button on the router, which seems to be the only thing it requires. Also, thank you once more for all the help and quite responses.