james

Connecting a wireless router to a wired network

I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 wap/router with a Linksys wpc11 ver 4 wireless notebook adapter.  I'd like to connect the router to my wired network in my house (part of cat5 infastructure option when I purchased my house - 2 yrs old).  My ISP is Verizon with ADSL capability via a Westell modem.  I don't want to mess with my ISP modem or interfere with the ADSL service.  I'd like to add my Linksys devices but what do I need to do to install it and get it running as a wireless access point. My computers are 2-desktops and 1 laptop with Windows XP service pk 2 and 1 laptop with Windows Me.

Can anyone HELP?  The instructions don't really help you step by step.
SPAWN_06

Re: Connecting a wireless router to a wired network

Try these instructions on this link:

"The war between heaven and hell depends on the choices we make, and those choices require sacrifice. That's the test"
phat_e

Hi,
I'm trying to do the same thing. I've following those instructions and it's still not working for me.

Wireless router model BEFW11S4 (acting WAP)
Firmware version: 1.44.2z, Dec 13 2002 (can't upgrade firmware - I've already posted a question on this)

Wired router model BEFRS41 (acting gateway to cable modem)
Firmware version: 1.46.02, Aug 03 2004 (can't upgrade either)

- I have changed to the IP address of the wireless router to something other than 192.168.1.1.
- I have DHCP disabled on the wireless router.
- I've connected ethernet cable from the uplink port on the wireless router to a number port on the wired router.

I still can't see the SSID when I search for available networks.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :-)

phat_e
vbronnik

I just did that last night and got it to work to the point of finding the network and such and connecting to it, but have no internet. I am not sure if I did something wrong on the security settings but so far I can connect to the wireless network and see my newly named SSID.

I fought with it for a while but the key is when you change the IP and disable the DHCP on the wireless, when you go to connect the wireless into the wired router port, make sure you reset the wired router. I have tried every other permutation of resets reboots and disconnects and so far that has been the only one that worked. Treat the wireless router just as another computer on your network.
Make sure you do not reboot/reset the wireless to the point of losing the settings that you changed in the first place, otherwise you will have to restart again like I did.

Hope this helps.

p.s. I do not think it has anything to do with the fw version but the particular "rain-dance" that you perform with the connection order and such.
ARCHANGEL_06

Well, you would be able to check if the SSID broadcast is enabled on your wireless router. You should verify if the wireless switch is ON on your laptop, some built in adapters usually need to be turned on (like a switch or a combination of buttons) :smileywink:
"Sometimes your knight in shining armor is just a retard in tin foil.."-ARCHANGEL_06
vbronnik

yeah, I disabled the broadcast but managed to get on the intranet and my laptop claimed that it was on the correct ssid network. Just no connection to the outside world. I did make sure that the wireless radio is on since wonderful IBM thinkpad "IBM Access Connections" always turns it off when it switches profiles.

Before I put the wired router back on, when I was still modifying the IP and all that on the wireless, I tested my wireless with wep enabled and SSID broadcast disabled and it worked just fine (that was just before I disabled DHCP, as per instructions). Once I plugged it into my wired again, can't get on the internet...GRR

Muhad

I had a setup similar to yours. Try using a regular port for the wireless. Don't cascade. Worked for me!
Muhad

Forgot to mention that first router ip would be something like 192.168.1.1 and the second one would then be 192.168.1.2
Devil666

if the first router is 192.168.1.1 and the second router is 192.168.1.2 ....the u also have the DISABLE DHCP for the second router...
Drexl

I had the same problem but the following fixed it. No idea why it worked or if it will work for anyone else :/

Do what you did before, (set primary router as 192.168.1.1 and secondary router as 192.168.1.2, enable DHCP on first router, disable it on second router, connect first router to second router via normal LAN ports not WAN ports using normal network cable), then in the first routers settings go to Setup then Advanced Routing, then under Static Routing under entry 1 change Destination IP address to 192.168.1.0, Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0 and Gateway to 192.168.1.1. Save settings and reboot first router, (not reset, just turn power off and on), for 5-10 seconds.

I did the above and it all started working. :smileyhappy: