skeeter1172

Connecting a wireless router to another wireless router wirelessly

Hello, I have a WRT54G2 V1 and i was wondering if there was any way to have this router recieve another wireless router signal and use that for an internet connection rather than  having a hardline. Any info on how to do this, or if it is possible, would be apperciated. FYI the router that has the hardline connection is a Linksys WRT54G V8. Thank You
Expert
sabretooth

Re: Connecting a wireless router to another wireless router wirelessly

Sorry, no this can not be done with Linksys firmware.  However, you might try DD-WRT third party firmware at http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php .
skeeter1172

what are the reprecussions for installing something like this? I understand it will void the warranty but will i need to learn of tech savy things b/c i am obviously a begginner.
oook

Once you upgrade your router with the DD-WRT firmware the set-up screen will be completely different from your original router interface...Also you will have certain additional features that will help you to communicate between 2 router's wirelessly...
Zalman

It isn't something you should be recommending to a beginner. I wouldn't even install DD-WRT firmware. There is one way of doing it which will cost $$. You can get a wireless bridge like the wet610n and connect it wirelessly to one router you want to receive the signal form, which will hardwire in the other wireless router.

I have a similar setup. Wireless router connecs wirelessly to wet610n bridge, which connects hard wired into a non wireless d-link router. But you can also use a wireless router. So the first router will be the DHCP and the second, basically a switch

skeeter1172

I went with the bridge idea because i am really wary of removing the warranty just now. However, after seeing how much a bridge is and talking with one of my friends, finally got a hold of him, in IT he said i should just get a USB adabter b/c the bridge will slow the wireless network i am using down. So i got the adabter, and sarted using it but i have been having major problems connecting to the network. It drops in and out and i have to power cycle the modem the router and then restart my coimputer for it to reconnect, and even then it is a gamble. I called linksys tech support and they were worthless, so any ideas on how to remedy this new problem.
ridcully

Have you tried to Upgrade the firmware of your Router. Try upgrading the firmware of your Router, which you can download it from Go to website linksysbycisco.com/downloads.........insert model no of your router in serach tab......select proper version of your router........download the firmware file......save that file on desktop...

Follow these steps to upgrade the firmware on the device : -
Open an Internet Explorer browser page on a computer hard wired to the router...
In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1...Leave the username blank & in password use admin in lower case...
Click on the 'Administration' tab- Then click on the 'Firmware Upgrade' sub tab- Here click on 'Browse' and browse the .bin firmware file and click on "Upgrade"...
Wait for few seconds until it shows that "Upgrade is successful"  After the firmware upgrade, click on "Reboot" and you will be returned back to the same page OR it will say "Page cannot be displayed".

Now reset your router :
Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...

Once you Re-configure all the settings on your Router, Here are some settings which you can set on your Router for Wireless network, i think this might solve your problem. 

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1 and press Enter...Leave username blank & in password use admin in lower case...
For Wireless Settings, please do the following : -
Click on the Wireless tab
-Here select manual configuration...Wireless Network mode should be mixed...
-Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbours network...
- Set the Radio Band to Wide-40MHz and change the Wide channel to 9 and Standard Channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on save settings...
Please make a note of Wireless Network Name (SSID) as this is the Network Identifier...
For Wireless Security : -
Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...
Change the Wireless security mode to WPA, For Encryption, select AES...For Passphrase input your desired WPA Key. For example , MySecretKey , This will serve as your network key whenever you connect to your wireless network. Do NOT give this key to anyone.

NOTE : Passphrase should be more that 8 characters...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings
Change the Beacon Interval to 75 >>Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304 Change the RTS Threshold to 2307 >>Click on "Save Settings"...
Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...