Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
veeezeee
Accepted Solution

Connecting iPad to wifi

Hello, I have a Lynksys routher model WRT54G2  I just bought an ipad and tried to connect it to my wifi but it keeps telling me it cannot connect to the network after I type in the password.  My iPod connected with no problem and still is able to connect.  Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

oook

Re: Connecting iPad to wifi

Make sure that you have the correct network key/password for the wireless network. It is case sensitive.

Connect the computer to the router with the Ethernet cable. Open the setup page of the router.

Go to the wireless tab. Set the configuration view to manual. Change the wireless channel to 11.

Go to wireless security sub tab. Make sure that you have the correct password/key for the wireless network.

Go to Wireless MAC filter sub tab and make sure that it is disabled.

Go to Advanced wireless settings sub tab. Change the Beacon Interval to 75, RTS threshold to 2307 and fragmentation  threshold to 2306. Save the settings.

Try to connect to the wireless network again.

Do you get any error message?

What is the type of security on your wireless network?

jplain

I'm having the same problem.  I am able to get the iPad to connect if I disable security, but with WPA Personal security on, I get the following error message:

Unable to join the network "jplain"

I've tried making the adjustments listed in oook's post, with no success.

Any thoughts?

BillF

Be sure that you have the matching security settings.  I use the following:

Security mode:  WPA Personal (not WPA2)

WPA Algorithm:  TKIP (not AES)

These aren't cutting edge settings but they are better than WEP.  More importantly my iPad works!

jplain

Thank you, I suspect this is on the right track. 

My router is set to WPA Personal and TKIP.  SSID is being broadcast, except when I turn it off so I can connect to the iPad without leaving my unsecured network visible to the neighbors. 

When I turn router security back on and try to connect to my home network using the iPad, all it asks me for is password.   I enter the password (correctly!), and it says it is unable to join. 

The iPad does not ask me to specify the security-type being used on my router.  It seems to me that I should have to specify WPA and enter the WPA shared key somewhere on the iPad, like I had to on my laptop, but where to do this is eluding me.

Any more insight would be greatly appreciated!

BillF

The iPad only asks for the password when you first connect to the network.  Once you successfully connect, you can no longer see the password.

If the network's password has changed, you need to go into settings > wifi, select the network, and tell the iPad to "Forget this Network".  Then connect to the network again.  The iPad will ask you for the password.  I think the iPad figures out the security type from the SSID broadcast.  If your network is not broadcasting the SSID then it will ask you for the security type as well.

BillF

Another thought -- Does your network password have any bizarre characters in it?  I have heard of situations where due to bugs in the software the device thinks that the password ends at the first bizarre character.  This problem could be in either the iPad or in the WRT.  My password has numbers, letters, and a hyphen but that is it.  In particular there are no spaces or periods.

jplain

Ah, bizarre characters.  Yes, that did it.  Changed password, and now I'm up and running.  Many thanks!

mmkruczek

[ Edited ]

I tried all of the suggestions noted above and am still receiving the "unable to join the network" error message when connecting to the iPad device to the WPA network with the TKIP encryption method.  

Also, the reset password is now text and numeric.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ygore

I'm getting "Incorrect password" message when connecting to the wi-fi n/w using iPhone4. What could be the issue? I've a windows laptop connected to it w/o any issues.