jimsmith
Accepted Solution

DHCP assigning IP address

I have a WRT54GS2. Devices may be assigned different IP address when power is droped then turn back on. As an example my printer may have an IP of 192.168.1.101 then when power is droped and the printer may get an address of 192.168.1.103. Is there a way to obtain the same address each time? I using OS X 10.6.3 on my Macs and Win 7 on my PCs. The printer is HP.

Jim Smith

dudztgp

Re: DHCP assigning IP address

Yes. There's a way to retain the same IP. On your router's setup page, look for DHCP Reservation or MAC Binding. Just put the MAC address of the printer, assign the IP.

jimsmith

I do not see anythink like that. Please explain.

dudztgp

My bad, I didn't notice that your router doesn't have that option. I guess we have to stick with static IP on the printer. You have to put an IP on the printer itself instead of obtaining the IP from the router.
jimsmith

I would like to have that option. What are some with that option, low cost if possible?

dudztgp

I didn't get what option you want. I'd suggest, you log in to your printer, assign the IP address and that's it. No need to spend a dime. It's like assigning an IP address to your computer in the network adapter properties.

The other option is a router with DHCP Reservation capability.
jimsmith

I remembered that I had a WRT160N V3, that I had purchase a few months ago. Installed that and problem solved.:smileyhappy: