Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
chocolie

DNS Failed on XBOX 360 Live

[ Edited ]
We have a WRT54G router connected to a PC that can connect to the Internet. We have a Xbox 360 that is connected to an adapter and can connect Live. We just added another 360 and when we go to connect to Live we get: Wired, IP confirmed, DNS failed. It is an automatic IP. This 360 is also connected through an adapter. Keep in mind the PC can connect to the Internet. I have called Xbox and they said to contact Linksys, which I did and they opened some ports, but that did not work and then they said to call Xbox back. Surely someone else has had this problem. I have looked all over the Internet for a solution to this, but can't seem to find an answer. Is this an Xbox or router issue?
Thanks!

Message Edited by chocolie on 12-24-2007 01:52 PM
saber_tooth

Re: DNS Failed on XBOX 360 Live

I am sure that two X-BOX will not work with one router ..... if you are getting error DNS failed .... check the DNS numbers from status page of the rotuer ....
Use the same numbers on the X-BOX network settings ......
Let me know if it works ....
chocolie

Yes, even when we had the DNS servers in the Xbox exactly like they are on the status page of the router, the DNS still fails. Also, Xbox1 that was connected to Live with it's adapter, now fails DNS after we tried to hook it up to the adapter of Xbox2, the one that originally failed DNS. Neither Xbox1 nor 2 can connect to Live at their original locations in the house.
barryware

Reserve a couple of ip addresses in the router. For instance, set up your router to use 192.168.1.103 as the first dhcp address.

Set your xbox up with a static IP. (192.168.1.101). Complete all the required fields in the xbox... IP, subnet (255.255.255.0), gateway (192.168.1.1), and the dns servers.Then open the DMZ on the router to your xbox's static IP.

saber_tooth

try some tweaks in the router settings

1) change the MTU size to 1365
2)delete the ports for the x-box under the "port forwarding" subtab ( under "applications and gaming" tab )
3)go to the "port trigerring" subtab and enter ports 88 and 3074..
4)if nothing works try upgrading / reflashing the router's firmware .

let me know how the things work out for you.
chocolie

Short of getting a new router, I am not sure what else to do. Everthing listed on here does not work and now the IP address is failing. I have tried using static IP, updated firmware, restarted router, modem and PC. We did discover that the Xbox can connect when hooked up just to the modem. So it is definately a router issue. I just think I have exhausted all possible things to try. Thanks!
Blain20

[ Edited ]
Chocolie:

I just found this page, and I see that I'm a bit late coming.  However, if you are still having this same problem, I have one thing you can try that it doesn't seem anyone correctly pointed out to you.

Obviously, you can specify whether you want your Xbox 360 to obtain an IP address (and accompanying information) from your router automatically (called DHCP), or you can manually specify the settings.  My roommate just had an issue with his 360, and what I found was that the DNS settings were set to manual for some reason (I think he mistakenly moved the setting from automatic to manual).  Thus, he was able to connect to our home network, but could not reach the internet.  Meanwhile, all other computers as well as my own 360 was able to reach the internet, and subsequently Xbox Live, just fine.  If you are still experiencing the problem mentioned in your original note, please check your DNS settings to be sure they are set to automatic.  I hope your problem is as simple as this so that you don't have to work any harder than you have already.

As a side note to other poster, you can run many Xbox's on a single network just fine (barring any bandwidth problems from everyone playing Halo 3 or Call of Duty 4 too much).

Cheers,

Blain

(Mod Note: Edited due to non-compliance of forum guidelines.)

Message Edited by giantherockstar on 01-11-2008 12:49 AM
vness

When you assign a static ip address on the xbox, use one that is not in the range being assigned by the router.

ex: IP 192.168.1.10 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1 dns1 4.2.2.1 dns2 4.2.2.2

Good luck! (",)