cobalt_gamer

Default Gateway doesn't work when entered in address bar

I'm trying to get to my router's settings. The default IP address of my router (192.168.1.1) doesn't work when I enter it in the address bar. Neither does the Default Gateway that I got from clicking on start, run, typing cmd and then ipconfig/all. Does anybody know how I can access my router settings without resetting it?
sharkbyte

Re: Default Gateway doesn't work when entered in address bar

What default gateway do you get when you do ipconfig/all on the DOS prompt? :smileyhappy:

Are your physical connections done like this?

modem----(internet port)WRT54G(port1) -------------PC ??? :smileyhappy:
cobalt_gamer

The default gateway I get is 68.38.228.1
Yes, I think that's how the connections are.   
sharkbyte

That seems to be the modem default gateway... is your PC connected to the modem via a USB cable? (sometimes that might be the case)... or what port of the router is your modem connected to?
cobalt_gamer

The modem is connected to port 1 of the router. There is a cable that sort of screws into the modem in a port that says "Cable" underneath it, but I don't know if that's a USB cable or not.
cobalt_gamer

I might just reset the router because I can't get to the settings. Do I have to set anything up after resetting the router?
Expert
Expert

Resetting most likely won't help. Your computer establishes its own internet connection through the modem. It bypasses the router. That is why you cannot access the router.

Again, make sure the wiring is correct: the modem connects to the internet port of the router. The modem is also connected to the DSL splitter/TV cable. The modem is connected to nothing else (except power of course). The computer is connected to a LAN port of the router.

If you still don't get the default gateway 192.168.1.1 but an public IP address unplug the router from the modem. Reboot the router and the computer. Check what IP address you get then.
Frunple

[ Edited ]

cobalt_gamer wrote:
The modem is connected to port 1 of the router.

Connect the modem to the WAN port, then powercycle the modem.
Powercycle by unplugging the power cord to the modem for a few seconds then plug it back in, unless you have a telephony modem, then there will be an actual reset button on it.

Message Edited by Frunple on 03-09-200705:48 PM

cobalt_gamer

Could someone explain to me exactly where I'm supposed to put which plugs. I'm not really sure which ports are which. I think something must be plugged into the wrong spot somewhere. I have one white cord and one blue cord, but I don't know where each end should go.
cobalt_gamer

Never mind, I figured out where all the plugs go thanks to the "Setting-Up a Linksys Router with Cable Internet" section in Technical support. I followed the instructions there and clicked on the links to other directions, and I finally got it all hooked up correctly. The default gateway shows up as 192.168.1.1 now. Thanks to everybody who told me it was the connections. :smileyvery-happy: