petezamory

Dell laptop can't connect to wireless router

Hello.

I just purchased a Linksys router and it works just fine for 3 of my PCs.  My son has a Dell Inspiron 1200.

I was able to get it to connect to the network once but after he rebooted, we do not get any network connection and it's very frustrating.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?  Per the Device Manager, the Dell wireless card is working just fine.

Running Windows XP

Thanks in advance for the help.  I'd really like to get this working for him ASAP as he needs it for school.

Peter

andrewbadera

Re: Dell laptop can't connect to wireless router

I'm having some Dell-Linksys issues with a brand new Vostro 1500 and a WRVS4400N with the latest firmware. The Vostro has an integrated Dell N-band wireless card. It can see my router, it authenticates (WPA-Personal I believe) but it won't acquire an IP address. Setting the IP manually does not help. Signal is strong. Compaq laptop connects to the router just fine. I've tried g-only, g/n-mixed, n-only, no luck.
xeromix

I have the same issue with my HP laptop. I ge intermittent signal. If I secure my network at all my laptop wont even recognize that the router is there. It would be nice if anyone knew how I should fix this...it is more than a little annoying... I have a 300N router... brand spankin new....
andrewbadera

I ended up cycling through g only, g/n, n only, and various wpa settings ... eventually, after one wireless disable and re-enable, it clicked. It's now humming along happily on n-band -- but all my settings are back to the original settings I was using with the Compaq.
helm

i think your laptop is using a Dell WLAN utility to connect to the wireless network ... so if you want to use it , disable the windows wireless service ... and vice-a-versa ..

if you have more problems , let me know the router model number ..
andrewbadera

[ Edited ]
I tried disabling the Dell service, using Wireless Zero and cmd line ipconfig calls only, didn't do the trick. But I did wonder whether or not recycling the dell service and wireless zero service didn't help ... that was one of many random steps along the way to get mine working ...

Message Edited by andrewbadera on 10-02-2007 02:46 PM