UofASouthpaw

Diff between Network Security Key/Passphrase and Router Password?

Just got a wireless laptop this weekend. I have reset my WRT54G router, and changed the router password. When I try to connect through wireless it asks for a "Network Security Key". I use the router password, but it says it's not correct. Is this a different password? If so how do I find out what it is? I get full access (doesn't ask for a password) when I use a wire. I customized the SSID, so I know I'm trying to reach the correct network. Some peculiarities I've noted that may or may not be helpful: 1)The Cisco Systems logo on the front of the router is lit up (amber color). I'd not seen it do that before today, and I've had a desktop pc wired up to this network for over a year. 2) I can access the web-based router settings by entering the router password I set, but my password is 9 digits, and yet there are 16 stars in the password field under Administration/management. I retype my 9-digit password in that field, save settings, it says it was successful, but when the page refreshes there are 16 stars again.
ellisonbet

Re: Diff between Network Security Key/Passphrase and Router Password?

im tring to find a key to enter into my pda  that will allow me to use my wireless linksys wrt54gs its asking me for .my pda that is  its a zire 71
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
To UofASouthpaw  ---

What router are you using?

Your router has 2 passwords:
The router login password, and the wireless encryption password.

To find your router encryption password, login to your router, then go to the "Wireless" tab and look for "Wireless Security".  Here you will find your encryption method (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.), and nearby you will find the key you need:

For WEP, you need to enter WEP "key 1" into your computer, not the WEP password or passphrase.
For WPA or WPA2, enter the "Pre-shared key"  (sometimes just called "key" or "password" or "passphrase" ) into your computer. 

The number of stars in the router login password field are not intended to give away how many characters are actually in the password.   This information would help someone who is trying to break into your router.   The number of characters in your password is a secret!

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 08-20-2007 11:47 PM
UofASouthpaw

Thanks! I'm up and running now.