Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
taihc

Difference Between Port Forwarding and Port Triggering.

Hi guys,

I'm lost! The differences between port forwarding and port triggering is driving me nuts! It all seems very subtle to me. Can anyone explain to me (in a very simple way) what exactly are their differences. Thanks in advance!!
-OTAKUS_06-

Re: Difference Between Port Forwarding and Port Triggering.

Here:

PORT FORWARDING

PORT TRIGERRING

Read them and enjoy! :smileywink:

"You tried your best and you failed miserably! "
samuraix

Port Forwarding

The big difference between this and port triggering is that forwarding is fixed.. you forward a port and it is always forwarded.. IE available to connection.. basically the forwarded port is excluded from the fire walling abilities of the router.  Second it is static and applies to one machine only. Whereas you could set port triggering to the router and thereafter any machine on the LAN can trigger it unless its already in use.. port forwarding must be specified for each individual machine.

Port forwarding requires you to give each PC on the network its own unique static IP address.. Although there is ssh port forwarding that can be set dynamically. Most users only have the option of static ip port forwarding.

The real downside of port forwarding is that it can be very tricky to set up... You may have to allow a series of ports on a machine and have to do that for each machine you want to allow through. Also routers often have limited abilities and may not allow you the ability to forward a port or select the service you require.

Port Triggering

This is a way of Dynamically assigning a service to a port WHEN it is required by an outgoing service. The port is initially not allowed so nothing can get in and you are protected by your network.  

A good example of this is when using Yahoo! voice .. the voice works fine for a few minutes after you connect to Yahoo! then Yahoo! sends some kind of packet that requires a response from your PC... The packet is allowed in through your router no prob but the outgoing reply is not authorized to open a port on the router and is thus blocked. 

'ope this helps :smileywink:

askal

port forwarding and port triggering are much the same.. these allow you to open up certain ports on the router.. note: there are like millions of ports specific to each known application there is on the planet of networking.. the difference lies in the method for which each is being deployed.. with forwarding, you can only open a port to particular PC.. with triggering, you can virtually open a port for the PCs to use behind the router.. so forwarding is = port to a PC while triggering is = port to every PC..
etirps

So.. does this mean that one can use port tiggering where ever port forwarding is needed?
Or could there be a scenario where this cannot be done?

Regards,

Etirps

etirps

I have a situation here.. while configuring my router firewalls for opera bit-torrent, port forwarding is working fine while port tiggering is not.. what could be the reason???

dudztgp

You need to indicate the exact port your bittorrent client will use in port triggering.

In port forwarding, you need to assign the IP address to forward the specific port needed by the application. The port to be opened is reserved to the IP address you indicate. The port will remain open to that specific computer.

In port triggering, you just need to indicate the port to be opened. If the router detects any computer, no matter what IP address assigned to it, the port will be opened. It's a first come, first served basis. As soon as the computer is done, the port will close.

Both Forwarding and Triggering, a port opened is exclusive to one computer only.