Stumped

Difficulty Accessing certain websites on laptop

So here is my issue...i recently changed from Comcast as my isp to Earthlink DSL.
At first I was unable to connect to the internet using the labtop, but after speaking to a rep at Linkysis, he informed me to change my Internet Connection Type on the Setup page of the Linkysis to PPPoE.  I was then able to connect without a problem, but strange things are now happening on both the main wired computer and also the laptop.  We are able to access certain pages on the internet, and other pages will load sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow it is unbelievable...or not load at all.  When I disconnect the wireless and plug directly into the Earthlink modem, I do not have that same issue...any assistance or suggestions you can provide would be most helpful...
Katsuki23

Re: Difficulty Accessing certain websites on laptop

What is the brand of the modem that you are using?

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

UnknownHero

Stumped

The Earthlink modem is Zytrel
Katsuki23

Change the LAN IP of the router to 192.168.5.1. It is on the same page as the PPPoE settings then turn the router off for 30 seconds then back on.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Stumped

okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay....what is MTU?
UnknownHero

(Maximum Transmission Unit, Maximum Transfer Unit) The largest frame size that can be transmitted over the network. Messages longer than the MTU must be divided into smaller frames. The layer 3 protocol (IP, IPX, etc.) extracts the MTU from the layer 2 protocol (Ethernet, FDDI, etc.), fragments the messages into that frame size and makes them available to the lower layer for transmission.

source: http://www.answers.com/mtu&r=67

Katsuki23

Use MTU value of 1492 since you are on a PPPoE connection.

Stumped

do i need to upgrade my firmware if i am using version 5 router, or not to worry about it?
Katsuki23

It depends. What is the firmware version loaded on the router now?