w$
w$

Disable SSID broadcast on EA6500

How can you disable SSID broadcast on EA6500 wireless network.

Jake_2.0

Re: Disable SSID broadcast on EA6500

You cannot disable SSID broadcast in this router because there is no option to do so. The reason why that it is no longer there because even if the wireless network is hidden, there are a lot of softwares that can be installed on any computer that could detect hidden SSIDs.

w$
w$

Thanks for confirming that there is no option.  I don't understand why though.  How hard would it be to include the option and let the consumer decide if they want to use it or not.  I have the Linksys E4200, and Netgear and D-Link all of which offer this option.  In my eyes this EA6500 is LESS secure than the rest.

I understant there is software that can detect hidden networks.  There is also software that can crack passwords and decrypt network traffic, so by the same logic we should do away with passwords, secure communications and authentication in general.  Sorry I don't buy it.  I think Linksys missed on this one.

jaymay

I believe the reason why cisco didn't include this option anymore is that by hidng the ssid is not really a security option for users since just like what Jake_2.0 said, there are other softwares that will still let you see those ssid that the broadcast has been disabled and there are softwares as well that can crack what type of encryption you are using to determine your wireless password. But yes, you have a point that they could have still included this option and let customer decide to leave it enabled or disable it completely.

Expert
sabretooth