Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
gmanresa

Disabling SSID Broadcast on RE1000

I just set up a brand new LinksysE4200 router at one end of my home, and a Linksys RE1000 range expander at the other end in order to provide full WiFi coverage to my entire house.  Everything is working great except for one important detail... There is currently no way to disable SSID broadcast on the RE1000 range expander!! I just flashed it with the latest firmware (v1.0.01 build 2, Jul 22, 2011) , but I'm still unable to disable it, even though it is disabled on the E4200 from which it's receiving the signal it's rebroadcasting.  Am I the only one who thinks this is a HUGE PROBLEM???  I am seriously considering returning the RE1000.

Linksys... PLEASE add the ability to disable SSID broadcast on the RE1000 in a (not too distant) future firmware upgrade! As far as I'm concerend, this is a MUST HAVE feature in order for this product to even be considered for use in any sensitive network environment.

Thanks!

Expert
Expert

Re: Disabling SSID Broadcast on RE1000

You don't want to disable the SSID broadcast.

And you don't want to do that even more if you use a repeater.

SSID broadcast is no security feature. It does not protect your network. Don't disable the SSID broadcast.

If you have a "sensitive network environment" and think you need SSID broadcast disbaled or even depend on SSID broadcast disabled you are taking the wrong approach.

Use WPA2 with AES and a strong passphrase and your wireless network is very well secure. SSID broadcast (and the MAC address filter) won't do a thing.
Expert
sabretooth

+1

ellenclary

It's called Defense in Depth and you need to back up your claim.  Yes tools can find non-broadcast SSIDs, but hiding a WPA2 protected SSID is still useful.

Expert
sabretooth

ellenclary wrote:

It's called Defense in Depth and you need to back up your claim.  Yes tools can find non-broadcast SSIDs, but hiding a WPA2 protected SSID is still useful.

Dumbest thing to do is hide your SSID.  Here's why.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28653/debunking-myths-is-hiding-your-wireless-ssid-really-more-secure...

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/the-six-dumbest-ways-to-secure-a-wireless-lan/43

Hiding your SSID will make newer devices not connect.