Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
mvirgil

Disconnect from Router & Modem

For the past month I keep getting kicked off the internet or my wireless router.  I haven't been doing anything different.  My router and modem are downstairs hooked up to my computer.  Upstairs we have a wireless blu-ray player hooked up to the satellite dish to watch Netflix, etc.  I'll be working on the internet when all of a sudden I get kicked off.  Same with my laptop, which I will use either downstairs, upstairs or at work (30 miles away).  So I unplug my modem for 20 seconds and plug it back in.  Then I may reset my router in the meantime - sometimes I reset it, sometimes I don't.  But for whatever reason it will reset and then in 5 min or less or sometimes longer, I'll get kicked off again.  It happened yesterday about 50 times - it is VERY, VERY FRUSTRATING :smileysad:  Can you please tell me what I need to do to get this fixed.  Everytime I go into the router itself to configure, it tells me that it does not recognize the router I'm hooked up to and to start again or download again.  Yet my Linksys Icon is still there and I can get into it, I just can't do anything with it.  I can't uninstall and reinstall Linksys because I can't seem to find the original disk for my router.  Any help would be great.  I've been using these items for years and have not had any problems until a little over a month ago.

Thanks~ Melissa

Expert
sabretooth

Re: Disconnect from Router & Modem

Well what is the model number of the router?  Version number?  What model and type of modem?  Who is your ISP? 

mvirgil

My model number is WRT54GS V7, Modem is SpeedStream 4200, ISP is Windstream.  It is still happening.  Our landline is dead too, so we're thinking that maybe it is something outside.  We briefly fixed it about 1/2 hour ago...the phone was working and I was online, but then I got kicked off.  About 15 min later the phone went dead.  We were going to have a Windstream technician come out tomorrow, then cancelled after we got it working, now the phone's not working again :smileysad:

hiptechboy

If you are getting kicked off when you are directly connected to your modem then it is an outside issue. Your RF signals might be out of spec.
I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.