Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
huelva
Accepted Solution

DoS protection E-series?

Hi,

I wondering whether the Linksys e1200 and/or e1500 offer any kind of Denial of Service (DoS) protection?

I'm currently looking for a new router and would love some info...

Thank you! 

Expert
Expert

Re: DoS protection E-series?

What kind of DoS protection?
huelva

Hmmm... Well first of, I'm a rookie when it comes to Routers and the like... I've spent a bit of time lately looking into various routers - what they can do and what they should be able to do.

I don't know which kind - I don't know if I as a private user is much of a target. But I've seen numerous routers and vendors advocate DoS protection. How to protect the router or network from "breaking down" or being compromised when flooded etc. I don't know?

It might all just be marketing but since a lot of other routers have DoS protection in their specs I feel I'm missing something on the E-series... or? 

Expert
Expert

For home routers there is very little you can do about DoS. If your connection is flooded or "breaks down", well, then the connection is flooded or breaks down. You have no control on what your ISP sends you or not. If your ISP forwards flooding traffic to your modem then the connection gets flooded. Your router will drop this traffic but that doesn't change anything on the fact that the connection is flooded and your download rate will go down dramatically.

Thus, usually your ISP will have to provide you with the necessary flood protection. You on your end can't do anything about it.

Beyond that, the general DoS tries to interrupt services that you provide. A DoS attack against a web site tries to bring down the web server or at least flood it with traffic so that noone can use it. If you plan to provide internet services a DoS protection may be come interesting on your end. But even then, that only really be comes necessary if you make money from that and in that case you shouldn't depend on consumer devices but get a business device with a far better firewall.

Thus, to sum up, in my opinion you'll get all the protection you need in a consumer device like the E series. I don't know which other router with "DoS protection" you had in mind but I kind of doubt they do much differently from what Linksys or any other consumer router does...
huelva

Many thanks for your comprehensive answer. 

Much of the DoS protection claims made by various vendors and the like is probably marketing, aimed at people like me, without much router savvyness, trying to sell something I don't need... Hey it even worked - I was comparing routers on claims of DoS protection.

Anyway your input really do makes sense and coincide very well with some other claims I've found just recently in my attempt to learn a bit about what I need...

Guess the E-series is back in the hunt. They do seem to be some nice routers...

Thanks again!