03-08-2012 05:41 AM
I'm just about to trade-in an E4200v2 for a E4200v1, primarily to regain the "Internet Access Policy" capability.
Just wanted to do a reality check with those of you who tried/use IAP... does it work basically as advertised?
I would be using IAP to specify MAC addr's of devices, blocking them from certain URL's and limiting their hours of Internet access.
And I plan to have Linksys's DHCP Server turned OFF, since my Windows Server handles DHCP on my network.
Should I expect all of this to work OK? No major reliability problems with IAP?
Thanks in advance!
Solved! Go to Solution.
03-08-2012 06:43 AM
Oh yeah, and one other thing I'm a little concerned about... overall uptime reliablilty of E4200v1.
If I use IAP, then it becomes my main router, replacing an ancient Netgear FVS318 which is far from the fastest thing going, BUT is super reliable... it often goes >1yr without a reboot or the need for one.
What's the reality of the E4200v1 uptime? How often should I expect it to crash, require reboots, etc?
03-09-2012 02:34 PM
Disabling Parental Controls will enable the Access Restrictions feature of the router and vice versa. If you do not have the Access Restrictions tab in your web-based setup page, this is because you have enabled Parental Controls using the Cisco Connect software. Here is the link for setting up the router to block the websites: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=
But make sure do not disable the DHCP server feature in the router. Otherwise it will stop functioning.
Second, it depends upon the usage of the router for the overall uptime reliability. If it is kept in a cooler and in an elevated place then it will provide you the good throughput.
03-19-2012 09:57 AM - edited 03-19-2012 09:58 AM
OK, here's what I've found so far. I'd LOVE it if others who've gotten IAP to work for themselves (or not) could add their input...
#1) So far I have IAP working properly for: Deny Internet by Schedule... seems to work fine.
#2) But it has NOT worked at all for: Website Blocking by URL... no blocking is enabled.
These are obviously separate policies/rules I have set up for each of these.
Note: I have DHCP Server DISABLED because I use Windows Server for that. But IAP still works fine for #1 so I figure #2 should as well, right?
For #2 my rule is like this:
- Policyname: no-youtube
- Status: enabled
- Applied PC's: Edit List: <small range of IP's... also tried their MAC addr's just in case>
- Access Restriction: allow
- Schedule: every day, 24hrs
- "Settings have been successfully saved" (double-checked of course)
- Rebooted router just in case
Whatever I try... nothing works for blocking URL's. What gives?
Thanks in advance for any insight!
p.s. Just to state the obvious... I'm NOT using Parental Controls, and AM using Internet Access Policy via web GUI.
03-20-2012 06:52 AM - edited 03-20-2012 06:53 AM
Here's an update... I got IAP's "Blocking by Web URL" to work!
I confirmed that MAC addresses in the "Applied to" list seems solid and barring MAC-spoofing it seems the more secure than using IP's.
Otherwise I have the same setup as listed in my last post. But I tried it for another client device and had better results.
And I've got DHCP server OFF, so apparently that is not a factor. Phew.
So things are looking up now. Glad I perservered to get the V1 instead of the V2.
05-09-2012 04:09 AM
As long as you properly input the correct mac addresses then it should work. Take note that you have to choose between IAP and Parental Controls. You could enable only one at a time. Since you have disabled the dhcp serve on your router then its advisable for you to use IAP instead of Parental Controls. That's why it worked out for you.