Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
coreyhinkle503

E1000 Setup help

I'm trying to set up my E1000 router and when I run the Cisco Connect software that came with the router I get a message that says that it can't find the router, I've tried running it with my computer connected to the router and not connected.  I've looked through the FAQ section and didn't really find anything.  I'm trying to set it up on a laptop, it's a Vaio running Windows 7, I don't if that makes any difference.  Sorry if this has been asked before and I missed it but any help would be much appreciated.

iNB
iNB

Re: E1000 Setup help

[ Edited ]

Wireless or hardwired?Let's try this routine hardwired...

1. Make sure your Local Area Connection is enabled - Start > Connect to > Show All Connections > right  click on the icon and enable it. You may also want to disable the Wireless Connection at this point as not to interfere with the process, then after everything is finished, enable it again.

2. Hardwire (cat5 cable) your comp to the router's port 1 - do you see port 1 light on the router turn on?

2. Access the router's web interface with IE, Firefox, Google Chrome or whatever web browser you use by typing this address 192.168.1.1

3. Your password is admin

4. In the Setup Page, Basic Setup, configure the settings (PPoE, DHCP) provided by your ISP, SAVE your settings and you should have internet connection at this point.

5. Re-enable your wireless conncetion and disconnect from the router, you should see the router wirelessly now.

Unless you are setting up a basic home network, you really don't need Cisco Connect (or LELA), however if you are going to have other devices connected via the router - other computers, wireless printers, xbox, etc., then you need a network management tool. I use Cisco Network Magic Pro, download a free trial and if it works for you, buy it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ps. i am not a tech, i just play one on tv!
pps. free speech is a human right! join Reporters Without Borders (http://en.rsf.org/) and help save the planet from censorship predators!
Expert
Expert

[ Edited ]

iNB wrote:

Unless you are setting up a basic home network, you really don't need Cisco Connect (or LELA), however if you are going to have other devices connected via the router - other computers, wireless printers, xbox, etc., then you need a network management tool. I use Cisco Network Magic Pro, download a free trial and if it works for you, buy it.

You don't need any "management tool" or other software to connect other computers, printers, consoles, tvs, phones or anything else. Once the router is properly configured and secured there is no need for tools nor any need to make any changes on the router. Wired devices are simply plugged into the router. Wireless devices must be set up for your SSID & passphrase which you have configured on your router before. Anything which needs to be done to add devices to your network must be done on those devices.

There is no need for any additional tool.

The only thing necessary at this time is the Cisco Connect software in case you want to configure something which is not available through the web interface at the moment. I think currently you cannot configure the guest SSID through the web interface. For this you must use Cisco Connect.  If you don't need the guest SSID you won't even need Cisco Connect.

iNB
iNB

Thanks for the info GV,

The reason I made the suggestion is that inevitably networks grow... I started to use NM for its ease of use in connecting other wireless peripheral devices without headaches, as it is intuitive and seamless. I have several devices scattered about the house and it provides a one source solution to manage all the wireless toys...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
pps. free speech is a human right! join Reporters Without Borders (http://en.rsf.org/) and help save the planet from censorship predators!
Expert
Expert

I don't see that. You'll need to know your SSID, wireless security and encryption (e.g. WPA2 AES) and the passphrase. You can write everything down. The tool cannot set up all your wireless devices anyway. I won't set up a wireless phone. Thus you need the SSID and security settings anyway.
iNB
iNB

Accepted. All valid points... But it is prudent to know (record and map) your SSID, WS and all components of your network, otherwise it's like driving a car without lessons and learning the rules on the fly...

I think (although I do not advocate) NM is a good solution for setting up a simple home wireless network and it makes life a little easier for those that struggle with connectivity of peripherals - often thinking that after having bought a router and expecting (look @ the packaging) that now "they can connect and bundle" everything seamlessly, don't you think so? Yet, for those fortunate to posses the know-how, it's a cake walk, those who quest for answers post.... And those having struggled in the past, lend what little knowledge they have to others... Remember your first tech dilema?

Expert
Expert

Of course you have to know your SSID etc. But you can see all that in the web interface. Why do you need a tool to open http://192.168.1.1/ and extract some information? You suggested to configure the router with the web interface. Why not setting up the rest with the web interface? And why not using the web interface to retrieve the information in case you have forgot?

Either you use a tool for everything including the initial setup or you use the web interface...

02befree

This is a common problem - had the same thing and it drove me nuts.  Eventually I power cycled the router or did a quick reset and then I could log in.  Try it.