Mitka

E1000 - Trouble accessing

I had the WRT54G2 which died slowly. I then got the E1000. I'm having some problems configuring/accessing it.

Modem IP: 192.168.1.1

I have the Zhone 6211-I2 modem. With the old router I had it in Router Mode and I had set the DHCP server on the modem to only output 1 IP address: 192.168.1.2. This worked perfectly for my external communication with ports.

Modem DHCP back to default.

Now I see that there is a NAT mode and when I Enable it, I can't get back into the router.

I tried running the cd but it sets the router ip to 192.168.0.2 which is a problem for me because it is not on the same IP as the modem.

If I manually change the IP to 192.168.1.2 I can't connect to it but I get internet access.

If I run the CIsco connect, it says it can't connect.

There seems to be some naming thing for the Network based on the IP address of the router. After the cd configures it has NAME1 and after I change the IP it has NAME2.

I can't connect by any means: IP, http://my.E1000 or the cisco utility.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Mitka

dudztgp

Re: E1000 - Trouble accessing

[ Edited ]

It sounds like your modem is also a router. If that's the case, you need to cascade the router.

Here's the procedure. It's either you implement LAN-LAN connection or Internet-LAN connection.

Ricewind

Your modem already has a built in router.

The IP address of the modem is 192.168.1.1.  If you try to setup the E1000 router then it will change the IP address of the E1000 router that is because your modem is already using 192.168.1.1.

Now if you want your modem to be the main DHCP server then you can disable the DHCP server on the E1000 router and change the IP address of E1000 to 192.168.1.2. Now in this case you will need to connect the modem to one of the Ethernet port on the E1000 router. E1000 router will act like a switch and your modem will assign IP addresses to all the devices in the network ( provided DHCP server on the modem should be enabled )

How many computers/ devices do you have in the network?

You have mentioned that DHCP server on the modem was set to assign only one IP address.

Mitka

I have about 10 devices.

The problem with my Zhone modem-router is that it can't maintain the IPs with associated deivces or at least I can't find out how to.

I need the Linksys to be the DHCP.

What I don't get is that settings mentioned previously worked with the previous router but not now.

I had set the modem to output only 1 IP 192.168.1.2 which is that of the Linksys (thinking to elminate any conflict) and it worked but not now.

I had some other things on my plate and only now got time to get back to this.

Thanks,

Mitka

Mitka

[ Edited ]

dudztgp, that is what I did with the WRT54G2 but it is not working correctly. I get internet but I can't access the router.

Mitka

dudztgp

There are 2 procedures on the link I provided. It's LAN-LAN setup and Internet-LAN setup. Please do not mix both.

I think you are using LAN-LAN setup. Try the other configuration, Internet-LAN setup.