benjamine_df
Accepted Solution

E1000 - block specific website during specific time

All,

I am using E1000 firmware 2.1.02   I am trying to block youtube website between 2Pm to 3PM throughout my network

I added one rule with below settings in access retsriction tab

access restriction = allow
days = everyday
times = 2PM to 3Pm
website blocking url 1 = youtube.com

This works as expected within 2PM to 3PM, but outside of this time frame all websites are blocked. How do I make all websites including youtube accessible outside of 2Pm to 3PM?

Ben

ScarletJamie

Re: E1000 - block specific website during specific time

Since you only blocked youtube between these times. You should be able to access it after the blocked hours. It might be firmware is corrupted. Try reflashing the firmware, reset the router & reconfigure.

benjamine_df

Thanks for the response. I have tried reflashing, resetting and reconfigure and noticed the same behavior. Can somebody try these settings on their router and confirm whteher it works. I think this is a bug. I have a feeling that I should configure in a different way.

Expert
zee29

I have a different model but I'll give it a try. I'll post results as soon as I try these. Very unusual indeed if you already reloaded the firmware and still it's not working.

benjamine_df

Based on options in the access restriction tab, I have a feeling it is not possible to create a rule for this requirement.

This rule

days = everyday
times = 2PM to 3Pm

means, allow internet access only between 2 to 3pm and during this time block youtube. During all other times block internet.

How do I create the rule, to block youtube only between 2 to 3pm? Any gurus out there can help with creating this rule?

Jake_2.0

Try to check on the screenshots below and check if it will help on your end.

Test1.jpg

Make sure to select the mac address of the computer that you would like to deny access.

Test2.jpg

benjamine_df

Jake, thanks for adding the screenshot. I exactly have this configuration with Mac address configured.  Did this really work for you?  Can you please test below scenarios.

Lets say current time is  9:30 AM

1) Set the specific time to 9 to 10 AM ( a time range within current time) , test this. youtube is really blocked and I can access all other websites. Good , this is exactly how it should work.

2) Now change specific time to  7 AM to 8 AM (outside of current time), test now. All websites including youtube will be blocked. It should not really block any website.  This is because router literally blocks anything that does not satisfy the "allow" rule. This is a bad implementation of the policy rules. Shame on cisco, they know the problem is there, but never would accept it.

This topic also discusses this issue, solution provided by  jdwassman is close to the solution, but it does not work for me.

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/E2000-Access-Restrictions/m-p/382249/highlight/tr...

benjamine_df

Finally got this working based on idea by jdwassman in post

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/E2000-Access-Restrictions/m-p/382249/highlight/tr...

If anybody else need this, use below two rules. Order of rule does not matter.

policy name = Limit website by time ( name doesn't matter)
Applied Pcs = IP Address range = 192 . 168 . 1. 0 to 254 (all ips)
days = everyday
times = 2PM to 3Pm

policy name = Allow all ( name doesn't matter)
Applied Pcs = IP Address range = 192 . 168 . 1. 0 to 254 (all ips)
days = everyday
times = 24 hrs