Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
DirtPig63

E1000 router name and password change confusion

I changed my E1000 router name successfully, and then went into the Administration section to change my password.  After changing the password and clicking on Save a small screen pops up asking me to verify my router's username and password.  When I enter the exact same user name and password it does not accept them.  When I try to enter the old user name and password it does not accept them either.  I then try combinations of the two and it still will not accept the input.  I have reset my router 4 times now and this keeps occurring.  I am completely baffled...why is this happening?

greencross

Re: E1000 router name and password change confusion

You just reset your router, right? Did you hold the reset button for 10 seconds or just pressed it?

If 10s: that brings your username back to <blank> and password to "admin" which are the default settings.

If you just pressed it: recheck your password. It's supposed to be case sensitive. If that doesn't work, hold reset for 10s and see above instructions.

Also, if you hooked up your router using cisco connect, the password should be under router settings > advanced settings.

payperwhew

use admin as user name and password

Expert
sabretooth

No the default username is blank, password is 'admin'. 

DirtPig63

Yes, that's exactly what I've done.  I've used the reset button and then successfully accessed the router with the router name blank and the password as admin.  Then each time I've gone into the setup and changed the router name and password. Regardless of whether I change the router name or not, as soon as I change the password and click on the Save button I immediately receive a small window that directs me to enter the router name and password to continue.  Regardless of what I type in that window I can no longer access the router and am forced to reset and go through the whole process again.  I've never had this happen before and don't understand it.  Would an alternative be to reset the router, and then go into settings and reset the router to factory defaults?

Expert
sabretooth

I don't understand.  You can't change the router name, only the password.  Once you change the password the router will power cycle and you will be prompted for the new password.  Leave the username blank and enter your new password only.  Make sure you are using a wired computer, not wireless.

DirtPig63

I see what you're saying, and the name I'm changing is the SSID name.  Even then, three times I've gone through the reset process where I've only changed the password from it's default "admin" to my own, and regardless of what password I use it will not accept that password when I try to access the modem after the password change.  Maybe that's a good thing, because if I can't get in then no one else can either.....but I don't want to bank on that, if you know what I mean?  I'm stumped.