indieda

Re: E1200: Disable Wireless

Hi, I bought the E1200 router recently and the speeds i've been getting over wireless is quite underwhelming... It's suppossed to be an N router so it should be able to support speeds of up to 300 mbps? I'm on fibre, and whenever I speed test over wireless i get only 30 down 20 up. Over Ethernet though, I get 66 down and 40 up. Also, wireless connection through the E1200 is quite unstable. Does anyone know why? Could Cisco be lying about the 300mbps thing?... Since there isnt gigabit ethernet, i'ld expect the HIGHEST possible internet speed over wireless to be 100 mbps then. However, i'm getting around half of my speed over wireless. WHY?!

Expert
Expert

1. 300 Mbps is as usual a theoretical maximum under extreme ideal circumstances. You never get 300 Mbps as transfer rate on a 300 Mbps wireless links. As a rule of thumb you can expect about 150 Mbit/s as transfer rate in places with no interference.

2. As the 2.4 GHz is crowded in most places you will generally see much lower rates.

3. You get 66 Mbit/s download rate on a wired connection. How do you expect to get a higher wireless rate? Wireless links are generally not faster than wired links. Wireless links have much more transmit errors than wired links. With the 100 Mbps ethernet ports you could only have a chance for a higher wireless throughput if the wired connection would be close to 100 Mbps, i.e. the limiting factor on the wired test would be the physical 100 Mbps ethernet port. But with 66/40 you are far from that.

4. Generally, you see about 1/2 the wired internet rates on wireless links. That's simply because wireless links are much more prone to interference and data errors causing much more retransmissions.

Thus I would say what you see is perfectly normal.
indieda

If I were to buy a new router, would you recommend one that would allow wireless internet speeds to reach up to 100 mbps?

Expert
Expert

1. As I wrote before: if you wired internet speed is only 66/40 mbps your wireless internet speed won't be 100 mbps.

2. As I wrote before: in most places wireless bands are crowded and thus you won't get wireless speeds 100 mbps or more anyway. Check how many other access points are close by. If you find a lot forget about 100 mbps wireless speed. If you want 100 mbps use cables...
indieda

Okay. By any chance do you know why during the speedtest it speeds up for a moment and drops drastically for another, and then it speeds up again? I've got full signal.

Expert
Expert

I don't know how to make that any clearer: it doesn't matter how "full" your signal is. A full signal while your neighbor is downloading a large file may result in bad throughput. The signal strength is only shows the strength of the signal not the quality of the connection nor the possible actual throughput.

I can only repeat: check how many other access points are close by...
alexda

I just recently upgraded from a WRT54G to an E1200 router and my internet connection has drastically slowed. I use to be able to watch HD videos on youtube without rarely having to wait for buffering on the wrt54g but now with the E1200 pages load slow and there's constant buffering when on youtube. I ran the speed test and on the E1200 and I can never surpass 0.7mbps down and 4.5mbps up, while on my wrt54g I would consistently reach speeds over 2.0+down. Does anyone know why I am achieving such slow speeds on my new router when my 6+year old wrt54g outperforms it? Any help is highly appreciated! Thanks!

Jake_2.0

Hi, I'm not sure if you are refering to your wired connection or your wireless connection. If you are having problems with the wired connection then that's not a goog thing. The 1st thing that you need to do is to isolate the problem by connecting the computer to the modem and try to run speedtest then check the upload/download speed. 2nd, if you were able to verify that you have fast connection from the modem then perhaps you can try to reset then reconfigure and update/reflash the firmware of the router. If you are having with the wireless connecting then perhaps the router's wireless settings of the router has not been properly configure, set the router's wireless settings to channel 9 on 20Mhz. Try also to check your network topology, check the distance of the computer to the router and if there are any wireless interference. If this does not improve the connection then perhaps you need to consider to update or reflash the router's firmware.

Fluffhead27

alexda - I had the exact same thing happen to me earlier this week (I even had the same WRT54G router before). I found the solution on another post on this forum, so I thought I'd register here so I could help you out. You need to disable WMM Support.

1) Got to your internet browser and access the router (192.168.1.1)

2) Click "Applications & Gaming"

3) Click the "QoS" tab on the far right under that

4) Change WMM Support (at the top) from Enabled to Disabled

I ran speedtest.net before that and was maxing out at about 1mbps. Immediately after that I was at 24.95. Has been working beutifuly ever since. Seems like a massive design flaw (or possibly just an issue with Comcast).

Good luck!

klcostello@live.com

I'm having the EXACT same problem -> my WRT54G bit the dust so I thought I was upgrading when I bought the E1200 but my wireless connections are AWFUL!  Any videos that I try to watch on my laptop or my daughter's iPhone are always stopping to buffer and now while watching movies on Netfix on the Wii they, too, are always 'reloading'.  It's incredibly annoying!  If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!