Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ArchRylen

E1200 Guest Login Problem

I have an E1200 v1 (Firmware 1.0.03).  I have it set up to provide wireless as NETWORK and NETWORK-GUEST using Cisco Connect.  NETWORK works fine.

My understanding is that I 1) tell a computer or device that I want to use -GUEST to connect to the internet.  2)  I open a web browser.  3)  I am directed to a page where I can enter a guest password.  4)  I enter it and am now on the internet.

Step 3 does not happen.  I open a web page and simply go to my regular home page.  I do not get an opportunity to enter a password.

More irritatingly, I am told I am connected to the internet but cannot surf anywhere. 

I have managed to get the screen with my laptop, after fiddling with the Connections icon at the bottom right.  But I haven't recreated it reliably.

I would like an easier way of dealing with this.  Particularly something I can easily direct other people to.  For instance, just having a URL for people to point laptops and smartphones to would achieve my aims.

hillary681

Re: E1200 Guest Login Problem

so your guest log-in issues has been resolved? what settings did you have to fiddle with to get online?

you might have been initially connected to the MAIN network and after connecting to the GUEST network, the connection details failed to update. thereby not prompting for the guest access password and temporarily getting you offline.

as for the URLs, i have links here showing how to connect a computer, an iphone and an ipad to the GUEST network.

to connect a computer: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=94&vw=1&articleid=21449

to connect an iPhone: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&articleid=25590

to connect an iPad: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&articleid=25374

ArchRylen

Thank you for your reply.  No, this has not been solved.  I'll be able to experiment with the links you sent Monday.  The problem has been that (in order of the links you sent) steps 3, 4, or 5 do not happen.  i.e. Opening a new browser does not take you to the log in screen.

What you have sent looks like it will be helpful for troubleshooting.

ScarletJamie

ArchRylen wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  No, this has not been solved.  I'll be able to experiment with the links you sent Monday.  The problem has been that (in order of the links you sent) steps 3, 4, or 5 do not happen.  i.e. Opening a new browser does not take you to the log in screen.

What you have sent looks like it will be helpful for troubleshooting.

Try another computer on the network first though just to properly isolate. Preferably a computer that has never tried to access the guest network wirelessly before. This will let you know if it is a possible browser issue or really an issue with the router. This is a quick check before ending up resetting, reinstalls and reconfigures the router. :smileywink:

ArchRylen

[ Edited ]

I keep encountering the problem. I brought my laptop to the site, disabled and enabled wireless. Then I told it to connect to -Guest, which it did. Opened IE and went (as normal) to "companyweb." Tried several variants on the URL in the articles with no success.

One possible clue, the address of the DHCP gateway/router is 192.168.1.1 for computers on my system. However, according to the laptop connected to -Guest, the address is 192.168.33.1.

Asking for either 1.1 or 33.1 gets me nothing. (Specifically, it gets me an IE page offering to help me diagnose the problem, or an attempt to do a Bing search.) I get the same results appending ":10080/Block_GuestAccess.asp", which I derrived from the links hillary681 posted. Trying things like simpley "GuestAccess.asp" and "Block_GuestAccess.asp" also produce no new results.

The result of the IE diagnosis is "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection." Sometimes the wireless bars display with a yellow yield sign and the hover-text reads "no internet access." Other times the yield sign is gone and it reads "internet access." In both cases, browser behavior is the same.

I've reset and reconfigured the router once, having the same problem before and after. I'm pretty much mystified.

I borrowed a smart phone, and connected to the -Guest network.  I was able to get a browser pointed at Google, but don't know if it went through my network or through the data plan.  (Given I did not get a password page, likely the latter.)

Expert
zee29

The main network ip address should be different from the Guest one. That is the purpose for the guest network. That way the guests will be in a virtual network so that they won't have access to the main one. Are you able to go online with the main network? How about if you change the password for the guest network?

ArchRylen

[ Edited ]

Are you able to go online with the main network?

Yes.

How about if you change the password for the guest network?

Does not change behavior.

zee29 wrote:

The main network ip address should be different from the Guest one. That is the purpose for the guest network. That way the guests will be in a virtual network so that they won't have access to the main one.

That makes good sense.  I expected that behavior happened for a reason.

Expert
zee29

This is strange behavior for your router. What's your firmware version? Perhaps you need to upgrade or do a reflash just to see if the would make a difference.

ArchRylen

zee29 wrote:

This is strange behavior for your router. What's your firmware version? Perhaps you need to upgrade or do a reflash just to see if the would make a difference.

E1200 v1 (Firmware 1.0.03)

According to the release notes, this is the most up to date for my version for my router and the 2.x.x Firmware is not compatible.  Still, re-flashing the router and updating the Cisco connect software couldn't hurt.

jaymay

Hi ArchRylen!

Have you tried reflashing the firmware already? Since you already have the latest version then just try the reflashing of firmware and see if that will resolve your issue.

By the way, firmware version 2.x.x is for E1200 v2.