Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
webtilton

E1200 keeps disconnecting

I bought a new E1200 this fall when I got a new Internet provider who recommended it to replace my really old one. It worked fine until a month or so ago when it would occasionally disconnect. At first I thought it was my Internet company but I started using the Cisco Connect app to fix it after restarting the router. The first time it worked great for about 2 weeks, but a few days ago it started disconnecting several times a day. Now it doesn't last 10 minutes before it quits. It tells me the firmware is up to date, so what is the problem? Do I need another one so soon? I think I bought it in September.
kawal

Re: E1200 keeps disconnecting

you may connect your computer directly to the modem and verify if the modem has something to do with this problem.

luce.evening.star

Reset the router back to factory settings and then re-configure for internet connection. Does it happen on wireless connection only or both wired and wireless? Aside from reset, lower the MTU size to 1365 which you can use if you have Cable internet service or 1472 if you have DSL internet provider. Make sure that the wireless settings are configured properly also. I suggest you change the SSID, set the channel to 11 and you can try also 1, 3, 6, or 9. Use also a higher type of security on the router. You can use WPA2 security. But if the router still disconnects, then connect your computer directly to the modem and observe internet connection from there for 24 hours. If the modem is stable with the internet connection then the problem is on the router.

Adjusting the MTU size to fix dropping connection with all computers

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=66270e5d0d4347d087102f2bfef7116d_3742.xml&pid=80&r...

What is MTU and How to Change the MTU Size

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=c018b947b8774e54bd57fad02e3efddd_17331.xml&pid=80&...

Top causes of dropping wireless connection on a Linksys router

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=efc03a44a5bb47bd804cf4d0eb3015c8_Top_Causes_of_Int...

Troubleshooting wireless connectivity issues with Linksys E-series routers

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=7b197cd3fd264343bb095060f7b26106_Troubleshooting_W...

webtilton

Thanks for your help. I haven't responded because for several days after I restarted the router it was working fine. Today, however, it has been having issues all day.

First of all, let me explain the type of ISP I have. It's a wireless service that comes from a cell tower to an antenna on my roof, then wired to a small modem near my router. I got it the fall and bought the new router in December (I had an old Linksys that the man who installed my system told me was probably slowing down my speed. I had updated its fimware once, before that it had similar issues as this one, but had worked fine for a year or two after I upgraded its firmware.) In September the installer said I was getting a very strong signal from his tower and everything worked fine.  Now, the service never slows, it just completely stops randomly, sometimes after a day or two or sometimes several times in an hour. 

The problem isn't that I can't connect to the router. Everything I have, iPad, laptop and iMac all get strong signals. But I get a "not connected to the internet" message. Today when it went out once I tried plugging in a laptop directly to the router and it didn't have internet either. I did try disconnecting and reconnecting the modem (from the power), but that didn't help. However, every time I unplug the router and give it 2 minutes before restarting it, I have internet again. Once I only had it for less than a minute before it went out. Usually it will work at least for a couple of hours before failing. 

I'm afraid I do not understand most of what you told me to do. I live by myself and in the country so there is seldom anyone else using my signal. I think it is probably either a bad modem or possibly that the firmware needs updating.  I cannot find anywhere where give the current recommended firmware, however mine is 2.0.04 build 1. I thought it checked automatically for new firmware but I don't see that now.

Anyway as you can see I'm sort of confused, and a little frustrated also. I would go buy a new one, but I'm not 100% certain that would solve my problem. If you can give me any advice I would appreciate it. Thanks.

luce.evening.star

Right now, what I can suggest is to disconnect your router from the modem and connect your computer directly to the modem via Ethernet cable (means router is not connected to anything). Leave the connection for at least a day and check from time to time if internet is active and no dropping out of connection. It is best to isolate that way so that you will know if the problem you have is just with the router or with the modem and before buying a new router. It is possible also that the problem lies with the modem.

webtilton

I wondered about the modem, but restarting it had no affect like restarting the router did. 

But a few minutes ago I got a robo call from my ISP saying the "technical problems I had been experienceing" had been resolved. I never called them about problems because I assumed they were on my end. I don't think that has been the problem over the past month, but it definitely could have been today's problem. So I'll give it a while and see if it's working. 

Thanks for your quick answers. 

joeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey

May I also suggest that you check your power adaptor. I just picked up the E1200 from Target and have only about 2 hours of use out of the router when it started shutting down and then back up every 5 minutes or so. Finally the router died completely so I took my voltmeter to the dc power on the cord and it was no where near the voltage it needed to be at. It should be 12 volts dc or more, and it was reading less than a volt. So, until I get a replacement power adapter, I found another adaptor with the same spects, 12 volts, 0.5ma and it works.

Expert
FurryNutz

joeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey wrote:

May I also suggest that you check your power adaptor. I just picked up the E1200 from Target and have only about 2 hours of use out of the router when it started shutting down and then back up every 5 minutes or so. Finally the router died completely so I took my voltmeter to the dc power on the cord and it was no where near the voltage it needed to be at. It should be 12 volts dc or more, and it was reading less than a volt. So, until I get a replacement power adapter, I found another adaptor with the same spects, 12 volts, 0.5ma and it works.

Im sure that after over a year, they have figured it out by now. :smileywink: