Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
droopycom

E1200 speed issue - only when wifi download from internet

Hi,

I have a brand new E1200 router and I'm very disapointed with the speed I get.

The E1200 is connected to a Motorola SB6120 cable modem, connected to comcast.

I'm doing a couple of test using speedtest.net, and a couple of file transfers test between laptops on my network:

1) Laptop ethernet connected directly to the SB6120 modem. Speeds are around 34Mbps Down, 6Mbps Up which is what I expect.

2) Laptop ethernet connected to E1200, E1200 connected to SB6120. Speeds stays around the same (so far so good).

3) Laptop connected to E1200 through wifi. Thats when I get issue: Speed Down <1Mbps, Up is still around 6Mbps. 

4) 1 Laptop, connected to E1200 through wifi, another laptop connected through ethernet. Transfer speeds about 48Mbps (thats about what I expect good). E1200 still connected to Modem.

5) 2 laptops connected to E1200 through wifi, transfer speed about 25Mbps (half of the previous test, sound about right too). E1200 still connected to Modem.

So basically:

- Wifi to Wifi : Good

- Wifi to Internal Ethernet: Good

- Internal Ethernet to External Internet: Good

- Wifi to External Internet: BAD

Before I return this router and try another one, what the h** is going on here ? I can understand bad wifi connection, but not in

this manner.

I should mention that I see a lot of extra ARP traffic coming from the modem and Comcast network, but that's a fairly low rate (~10Kbps) and not a problem when I'm doing ethernet to internet speed tests, so I dont think thats the problem.

Thanks.

binky

Re: E1200 speed issue - only when wifi download from internet

Try to do the following steps:

A] With the help of Cisco Connect Software (if at all you have installed the router with the help of this software)

1] Open the software and go to the option which says "Router Settings"

2] Then click on the option which says "Advanced Settings" which will take you to the router's configuration page.

3] Lower the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) from 1500 to 1400 or less (usually found on your router's main/ basic setup page)

4] Then go to the Wireless tab, keep network mode as mixed,

For Channel Settings of 2.4 GHz you can make Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 6, 9, 11..

For Channel Settings of 5 GHz you can make Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 40 or 161...

B] If you haven't installed Cisco Connect then you can log on to the router's user interface using it's default IP address in the browser which is 192.168.1.1 and type in 'admin' as the password leaving the username field blank. This will take you to the router's web interface and then follow steps as mentioned above to make the changes.

Now check the connectivity status.

jeanniepage

I have been speaking at length with the Cisco support staff about this issue. I have tried all of the workarounds that are listed, and I have changed all of the manual router settings as they have advised and none of this has helped. I was told by Cisco that this is a known issue with this router. They have escalated my case and I am waiting to hear from their engineers about workarounds, however I have already tried all of the workarounds on this page:

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/GetArticle.aspx?docid=266cc1c7b97c458fb04c2da21f985828_List_of_Common_...

And it has not helped at all. It's still maximum of 1.25 Mbps when connected wirelessly. This is horrible and not the speed I should be getting for a brand new router on a brand new laptop. I think I will have no choice but to return this router. I am very frustrated.

csterrazas

I'm having the same problem and just spent a couple hours with customer support and no help.  Anyone get this resolved?

VALETLINKSYS

[ Edited ]

Change Channel to 9-6-3-1

I believe that I can make it :smileyhappy:
jeanniepage

I changed to all of those channels. I spoke with support at length and they had me try all types of workarounds. In the end they told me there is a known problem with this router that their engineers are working to fix, but has not yet been fixed. I ended up returning my router and going back to my 8-year old router, which was 3 times as fast as this brand new one. I would not buy this router.

VALETLINKSYS

jeanniepage wrote:

I changed to all of those channels. I spoke with support at length and they had me try all types of workarounds. In the end they told me there is a known problem with this router that their engineers are working to fix, but has not yet been fixed. I ended up returning my router and going back to my 8-year old router, which was 3 times as fast as this brand new one. I would not buy this router.

Hmmm, so changing channels didnt work ? I've read similar post here in the cisco forums what I suggested is to disable WMM Support.

But I don't think it is recommended but it made them have a faster connection.

I believe that I can make it :smileyhappy:
jaymay

jeanniepage wrote:

From what I understand your case will be escalated to cisco engineers. What I would suggest is that you wait for their recommendation about your case.

thr3ee

I just bought one of these routers myself and wish I had read the forums first. I've tried all the solutions proposed here (and elsewhere). No matter what I do my download speed is around 500Kbps (yes, that's K) when it should be between 20-30Mbps. I verified that I have the latest firmware (no surprise as the latest rev is 3/2/2012). 

I have returned to my old (pre-Cisco) Linksys router and will be returning this new one. I will NOT be purchasing another Cisco router.

ScarletJamie

thr3ee wrote:

I just bought one of these routers myself and wish I had read the forums first. I've tried all the solutions proposed here (and elsewhere). No matter what I do my download speed is around 500Kbps (yes, that's K) when it should be between 20-30Mbps. I verified that I have the latest firmware (no surprise as the latest rev is 3/2/2012). 

I have returned to my old (pre-Cisco) Linksys router and will be returning this new one. I will NOT be purchasing another Cisco router.

What about reflashing the firmware of the router, reset and reconfigure. That should be fixing the issue.