seadour

E1200 - wifi suddenly not working

Hi all, I have an E1200 model 1 router. I've owned it for over a year and it's given me no problems until now...

Hardwired ethernet connections work fine, but the wifi no longer works consistently. I have several wireless-N wifi devices that either cannot connect to the router at all (they present an error message), or do connect but will not load anything over the connection, or will load web pages very very slowly and then suddenly drop the connection.

When I go to the DCHP client table, I see all of my ethernet connections but it does not show any wifi devices, even if the wifi device is showing a connection to the router.

The wifi connection is secured via WPA2 Personal.

I have tried changing channels to one that was not congested with any other nearby routers. I have also tried a 30-30-30 factory reset. I am updated to the latest firmware version (1.0.03). I am sure I am entering the correct passphrase to connect over WPA2. All of my wifi devices are confirmed to be wireless-n, not g or b.

Please help!! And thank you!!

Expert
jlbjlb

Re: E1200 - wifi suddenly not working

What's the make and model of your modem?
ylime1984

seadour wrote:

Hi all, I have an E1200 model 1 router. I've owned it for over a year and it's given me no problems until now...

Hardwired ethernet connections work fine, but the wifi no longer works consistently. I have several wireless-N wifi devices that either cannot connect to the router at all (they present an error message), or do connect but will not load anything over the connection, or will load web pages very very slowly and then suddenly drop the connection.

When I go to the DCHP client table, I see all of my ethernet connections but it does not show any wifi devices, even if the wifi device is showing a connection to the router.

The wifi connection is secured via WPA2 Personal.

I have tried changing channels to one that was not congested with any other nearby routers. I have also tried a 30-30-30 factory reset. I am updated to the latest firmware version (1.0.03). I am sure I am entering the correct passphrase to connect over WPA2. All of my wifi devices are confirmed to be wireless-n, not g or b.

Please help!! And thank you!!

Upgrade the firmware of the router, go to this site: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/E1200 (choose the appropriate version of the router) then try to check the wireless. If didn't make any difference, modify the wireless settings especially the channel to 20MHz/ 9.

seadour

[ Edited ]

... ...

jlbjlb
 - As I already stated, it is the E1200 model 1 router.

ylime1984 - As I already stated, I am updated to the latest firmware version. Also, channel 9 is congested so I have set it to channel 5 instead as there are no other access points near me using this channel. I do not want to switch bandwidth to 20 Mhz as I will not be able to utilize the full speeds available on 40 Mhz.

It's worth noting that it is suddenly working now, for apparently no reason. Maybe the factory reset finally worked. I'm concerned this problem is intermittant though.

ylime1984

Good to know however try to observe the connection. Btw, you can also play around with the channels (1,3, 6, 9, 11).

GatorRay

I am no expert but a long-time Linksys router user.
Some quick observations re: your inquiry -
1. latest firmware for E1200 is 2.00.4 not 1.0.03
2. have you tried using ONLY 20 Mhz on channel 9 under manual settings?
3. another user also suggested disabling WMM under the Games tab>QoS. (this suggestion was applauded by many whose connections were slow and iffy at times. It makes no sense to me since WMM is supposed to enhance audio/video programs. I'm going to try it also since I also use the E1200. I get up to 29 Mb/s down and 1.15 up many times a day on my iTouch 5 when network isn't congested. I've had dropped signals a lot lately. Especially annoying when there is a large pot and I have snake eyes playing poker....;>)
seadour

GatorRay...

1) As I already said, I have hardware version 1, and the latest firmware for that hardware version is 1.0.03. http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/routers/E1200

2) As I already said, I do not want to switch down to 20 Mhz because that will limit my bandwidh and I will not be able to utilize the full speeds of Wireless-N. The application I am using this for requires full bandwidh (streaming HD media).

3) I may try disabling WMM next time this happens.

jescott418

You biggest problem is probably network congestion from other networks close by. When you choose to use 40mhz instead of the 20mhz you require more bandwidth. The other networks may be overloading that causing dropped connections. In fact I would not be surprised to find out those users of other stations are having similar problems. Their is a reason the 2.4Ghz band defaults WiFi routers to 20mhz bandwidth in high satuation areas with other stations. Its to give everyone a decent connection rate even if it means a lower overall speed. People need to realize that a bad and congested 2.4 ghz band cannot sustain high speeds with other stations close by. I actually default back to G mode for my wireless at times when I find I am having problems with dropped signals. In almost all of those cases down grading my speed to 54 G mode gives me a much more stable and responsive behavior. Its because I have much less packet loss and signal problems. If I can recommend nothing else for people its that they remember that the 2.4Ghz band is heavily used and this makes for terrible conditions. If you really will except nothing else but the fastest speeds for your local network. I would suggest buying a duel band (2.4Ghz &5Ghz) router.