Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
rbillingsley@yahoo.com
Accepted Solution

E1550 Can't access NTFS hard drive.

I had previously posted about problems with the E1550 not being able to recognize NTFS formated hard drives.  After multiple retries and reformats I was finally able to get it to work and was able to backup my system files to that NTFS hard drive.

Now, little more than a  week later I setup to run my backup to run again and once again the E1550 is not accessing the hard drive.  The same one it had previously acknowledged and allowed me to save to.

The E1550 sees that there is a hard drive out there but all it says is "Detecting..."  this does not change.

I need this to be fixed and stay fixed.  If it is going to do this every time I turn on the drive to do weekly backups, then I need to get a different wireless router.

Thank you,

Mort

Re: E1550 Can't access NTFS hard drive.

How did you take the backup of the system file means you took the back from the Router or directly from the Computer… Let me know that if you connect the hard drive directly to the computer does it get recognized by the computer?

rbillingsley@yahoo.com

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking in your reply.

Once I was able to get the E1550 to recognize the NTFS formatted drive I used NovaStor backup to do a Full back from two computers, one was connected via a LAN cable, the other was a wireless connection. There were actually three backups in total that were done.  Two FULL backups and ARCHIVE backup of special data that was not included in the FULL backup.  All backups completed successfully and I used Windows Explorer to go out and look at the files to verify their size and access.

The intention is to do weekly backups where the storage drive is shut off during the week and turned on once a week to do the backup.  However, when the drive was turned on for this last weeks backup, E1550 acknowledged there was a drive out there and gave the size of the drive, but would not connect to it and make it available for access.  All I get is the "Detecting..." message.

I need a wireless network I can rely on to use for backups.  If I am going to have problems like this with the E1550, then I need to return it now before I've  passed the 30 day window which is almost up.

Mort

There's not much else that can be changed on the router as far as settings go. It should be able to see the NTFS drive. There is one thing you could try though. Reset the router by holding the reset button for thirty seconds, and then reconfigure it. Please make sure to disconnect the drive from the router before you reset the router.

rbillingsley@yahoo.com

I had to call tech support and the advanced tech dept did a remote connect to my network.  After a lot of checking and looking around it was discovered that two of the hidden system files the E1550 creates on the hard drive were corrupted.  Once those two files were deleted the E1550 completed the connection and made the drive accessable.

mgieseke

I also had trouble with my router recognizing NTFS formatted drives.  I had been formatting through the disk management utility for windows with no luch.  I allowed the drive to once be formatted with FAT32 via the router.  I plugged the drive back into my computer and did a quick format without the disk management utility, i.e. right clicking on the drive, choosing format, and quick formatting with all default settings.  I plugged the disk back into router, and voila, the NTFS file system was recognized.