Do you mean 
Laura Ter Haar

Re: Linksys E1000

I can only access my 2nd computer as a guest with limiteed internet access

yperion

Re: E2000--Can only connect wirelessly through "Guest" account

Well, it's not a 100% solution. I have a similar problem as follows on e2100L:

Firmware 1.0.00 B020 Jan 8, 2010

- router set up through advanced config (hidden SSID, WPA2)

- i have 3 computers (XPSP3 DELL Precision  M65) and 2 iphones connected to main wireless

- this worked fine for about 1 week

- after a while (a week or so) devices don't get DHCP address on main wireless, however they do get one when connecting to guest.

- when I connect in web gui advanced config (on a PC that was still connected) I can see correct DHCP IP addresses in router status, but PC's and iphones don't get an IP address. So it seems that DHCP on the router breaks.

- All works again after power/reboot of router, it typically goes awry after booting one of the PC's

Obviously since both iphones and DELL's have a problem after working well for a while it's not a driver problem (or one Pc causes router to have problems with DHCP but that still sounds like a bug in the router.

It's weird that the DHCP address does show up in the router but the PC's and iphones don't seem to get it.

I'm a tech guy, programmer and network admin so I think I know what I'm talking about (but please prove me wrong!)

From reading all the questions in this forum I do have the feeling there IS something going on inside the router's DHCP code.

darrylp

I don't know what my WEP key is? How do I find it? 

Administrator
24JUAN80

Welcome to the Cisco Home Community.

Click here to know more about setting up and determining your routers security.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Search Function is your friend.... and Google too.

How to Secure your Network
How to Upgrade Routers Firmware
Setting-Up a Router with DSL Internet Service
Setting-Up a Router with Cable Internet Service
How to Hard Reset or 30/30/30 your Router
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nfapps

Just have to give a quick Thank You to  dziuggy, that fix worked great when an hour and a half on the phone with Cisco support couldn't fix the problem!  Great for you to help the rest of us, and ended up being an easy fix

Chris

dziuggy wrote:

dziuggy wrote:

ok people, i had same problem with my wifes netbook (acer aspire one)

symptoms: can only conect to guest account or unsecured (no password)

anyways after much reserch and no help from cisco support (sucks....) i came to understanding that it might be network adapters that was not compatable with newer routers. in my case i have atheros AR 5007EG.

so i did a search on it and found that people with other laptops, were able to update drivers and fix the problem. however acer does not have new driver for atheros wlan adapter.

so i found driver for toshiba, using same ar500eg wlan card here:

http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/wlan/?page=downloads

now atheros driver is inside of toshiba driver package so it will not run on your acer/etc just by pressing setup. but you can extract it to selected location (make folder first) and then navigate to the folder. it will have another folder inside called XPDrv

that is atheros driver for AR5007EG regardless of computer you are using. version 7.7 or something like that.

after i updated the driver acer connetc to my E3000 without any problems

hope this help to someone as i spen whole day trying to figure this out

cheers

here is step by step:

full steps:

download file: "atheros-wlan-xp-7704062.zip" from hp site here: http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/wlan/?page=downloads
(this file is for atheros AR5007EG wlan card running on win XP they have versions for different os as well)

inside the archive you will find this file: "TC00147200G.exe" it is actually another self extracting archive. Double click on it, then select browse and select existing folder where you want to extract the files. press next, then press start. it will extract all the files but will not start setup as you don't have HP.

after it is done navigate to the folder where you extracted the files, there will be folder named XPdrv go inside and execute setup.exe. that will install the driver. restart and you are done

!

Best Regards,

Chris

compmancp

I'm having a similar problem.  I don't have the guest wireless turned on at all, so I'm just using main.  It seems like everytime the DHCP lease expires, my Win7 computer cannot obtain an IP address and renew its lease.  My other devices (iPhones, Blu-Ray player, Airport Express, MacBook), also lose their connections in a simialr manner, they can connect to the wireless and authenticate, but cannot get to the Internet or network.  Rebooting the router fixes it temporarily, but doing this constantly is unacceptable.  Has anyone found a fix to this?  Cisco/Linksys - where is the firmware fix for this?  The DHCP table is also incomplete and inaccurate.  Seems ridiculous for a brand new router.

TracyMarie

THANK YOU!  This solution completely resolved my issue!

edremann

I have a e1000 router and have two Toshiba notebooks that are set up with the same settings.  I am upgrading from a older netgear, which I never had trouble logging into.  One of the notebooks (Satellite L305D) will only log in as a guest.  I have tried everything under the sun to get it to work.

rotaryguy

edremann wrote:

I have a e1000 router and have two Toshiba notebooks that are set up with the same settings.  I am upgrading from a older netgear, which I never had trouble logging into.  One of the notebooks (Satellite L305D) will only log in as a guest.  I have tried everything under the sun to get it to work.

Check in Device Manager and verify that the network adapter is an Atheros adapter. There are many versions of the L305D and at least some do have the "Atheros 802.11 b/g" adapter which is the same as what my Compaq laptop has and one source of the problem. The solution to the problem in message #61 worked for me, so give that a try. Or at least, get the latest driver update for the adapter from Toshiba.

Also, check Device Manager and look for "Microsoft Wireless Router Module" under the heading "Network Infrastructure Devices". You may have to first do View>Show Hidden Devices to see this item. If you do not have that, go to the Microsoft web site and download-install it.

edpetray

Post #61, your link saved me. 

My wired XP system, no problems.

My wireless HP windows 7 system, no problems.

My wireless HP vista system with the Atheros ar5007 adapter communicated with my LinksysE3000

but did not recognize it and could not get internet.

People are being told they have updated drivers and are getting frustrated.  The download worked, thanks